Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I refilled my windshield wiper fluid and put on new blades and gave the system a test swipe. At first the fluid shot about half-way up (good enough anyway). on second try...it dripped out...barely...and did not reach the glass. what's up with that?! it was a warm sunny day.

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,449 Posts
Got something clogging it up. That happened to one if mine. Try sticking a needle in the part that sprays. If that don't work take them off and try from the other end, or maybe soak in CLR. These are suggestions that were given to me. I don't use them that much to bother with it. Hope this helps. Last resort, replace the lines. Also make sure the motor is working properly.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
:stupid

blow through the lines to make sure there isn't any restriction.

make sure there isn't a break in the lines, the line could have cracked somewhere else and now it's puking the washer fluid all over something under the hood.

baring all that, make sure the washer pump has power, if it does, and the motor doesn't work. it needs a motor.

this is so simple a monkey could do it. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Some wiper fluids will sludge up if left in the tank unused over a long period of time, then will clog the
wiper fluid nozzle spray head thingie
Like 'Hank said, try to clear it with a small pin thingy.
If that fails, pull the nozzle(s) and soak them in rubbing alchohal and blow them out with compressed air.
Canned air for computers works well, especially with the long thin tube thingy...... :thumbup

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you gentlemen! if it's so simple a monkey can do it, I should be able to...we'll see :haha

I'll take a look tomorrow. I don't need another 1999 Raton pass/blizzard incident. At night, in a storm, in my '63 Fairlane that never ever even had wiper fluid nozzle spray head thingies to begin with!

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
yo,
Spray Nozzle Removal in an 86; "...The squirter pushes up fairly easy out of the cowl. If not then pinch the tangs from below with needle nose pliers as you pry from the top with a blade screwdriver..." by mmy Brother-In-Grease-and-Rust, Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at FSB

Upgrade Installation, 98 Jeep in a 90; "....my bronco's dual purpose washer bottle/coolant recovery tank was a peice of shit, its a horse shit design, with a crappy holding capacity for fluids,not to mention the intake pump sucked, and squirted fluid out with lackluster results...the jeeps factory washer tank, has TWO built in sumped washer pumps{jeep has rear wiper+ sprayer}...i used a T fitting to plumb it so with the broncos push button wiper switch it sprayed BOTH pumps at once...i had to readjust the sprayers because the pressure was insane, it shot fluid clear up and over the bronco and a goot 5 feet BEHIND the truck...now that they are properly aimed, it literally BLASTS the damn mud off the truck,not to mention the jeeps washer tank holds almost a full two gallons when empty. i also used the jeeps overflow container because its easier to read/holds more coolant..."
Source: by 90bronco351 at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149356&highlight=Jeep+windshield

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yo,
Spray Nozzle Removal in an 86; "...The squirter pushes up fairly easy out of the cowl. If not then pinch the tangs from below with needle nose pliers as you pry from the top with a blade screwdriver..." by mmy Brother-In-Grease-and-Rust, Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at FSB

Upgrade Installation, 98 Jeep in a 90; "....my bronco's dual purpose washer bottle/coolant recovery tank was a peice of shit, its a horse shit design, with a crappy holding capacity for fluids,not to mention the intake pump sucked, and squirted fluid out with lackluster results...the jeeps factory washer tank, has TWO built in sumped washer pumps{jeep has rear wiper+ sprayer}...i used a T fitting to plumb it so with the broncos push button wiper switch it sprayed BOTH pumps at once...i had to readjust the sprayers because the pressure was insane, it shot fluid clear up and over the bronco and a goot 5 feet BEHIND the truck...now that they are properly aimed, it literally BLASTS the damn mud off the truck,not to mention the jeeps washer tank holds almost a full two gallons when empty. i also used the jeeps overflow container because its easier to read/holds more coolant..."
Source: by 90bronco351 at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149356&highlight=Jeep+windshield
holy mole now that's what I'm talking about. my funds are a wee low as of this month but that's the kinda' power I need in these slushy Colorado winters! dun'no about your 86 but my 85 shares a split tank with antifreeze run off, and like you said barely holds maybe a pint or two.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That sounds like a good mod Miesk. I will look into that later down the road. For now I just need to get mine back together and running.

·
Registered
263 Posts
thank you gentlemen! if it's so simple a monkey can do it, I should be able to...we'll see :haha
I'll take a look tomorrow. I don't need another 1999 Raton pass/blizzard incident. At night, in a storm, in my '63 Fairlane that never ever even had wiper fluid nozzle spray head thingies to begin with!
It's not simple if your spray nozzle is located where mine is. On the 90 it's right above the windshield wiper motor. There is no way to get a pliers onto the tabs to squeeze them and push up on the nozzle. I can't even get my fingers in there to put the hose back on after I pulled it off to see if water was getting thru the hose.
I ended up having to take off the weather stripping and loosen all the screws on the cowling. Lift the cowling up just to put the hose back on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's not simple if your spray nozzle is located where mine is. On the 90 it's right above the windshield wiper motor. There is no way to get a pliers onto the tabs to squeeze them and push up on the nozzle. I can't even get my fingers in there to put the hose back on after I pulled it off to see if water was getting thru the hose.
I ended up having to take off the weather stripping and loosen all the screws on the cowling. Lift the cowling up just to put the hose back on.
Yeah looked like it was right above the motor (and there's only 1!) - I ran out to get the air-in-a-can to clean the hose with but by the time I got home the wind was blowing to hard to mess about. baby steps... Good news, hose did not appear dry or cracked.

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
yo
Malcolm says it's rel ez to pull the nozzle;
"You shouldn't have to pull the cowl at all. The hose comes off of here with a pull down like this;

The squirter pushes up fairly easy out of the cowl. If not then pinch the tangs from below with needle nose pliers as you pry from the top with a blade screwdriver..."

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
yo TOM,
Depends on tools available; I have an old needle nose plier set that I used in tight locations on Navy ships;
such as this to grip small vac, ws washer hoses,etc.

I have that one and another w/plain nose; another w/serrations along the nose to grip onto different objects
PM Malcolm and ask him what size plier he used.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a cold going on now that's kicking my @$$ - but I am itching to feel better so I can get out there and tweak those nozzles! (those funky pliers are way cool.)

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
yo,
was thinking of the "wet arm" (no jokes please) wiper arm/ blade combo for all year or winter only use;
Many are made for heavy truck, & marine apps, but can be fabbed up by runnung hose thru a new opening in cowl and along arm to blade and use a 92-96 MY Nozzle or a diy nozzle (more on this when I get home) as 95F1504x4EB showed above.

Also, we used to run - w/new coolant bag, the line along heat hoses (taped to hoses that go to heater core) so as to help keep washer fluid from freezing when driving on highway at speed.
Here is an AFi catalog that should show the arms
http://www.comstedt.se/kataloger/pdf/AFI 08 catalog.pdf
see page 15
AFI Premier wiper wet arms combine the heavy-duty construction
and materials of the Premier wiper arm line with a built-in wet arm
system that allows for a clean and easy installation of a washer
system. A simple and easy way to keep your windshield clean, the
Premier wet arms feature a black PVC hose that runs up the center
of the arm and ends in a four-nozzle fixture that is an integral part
of the wiper arm itself. Each solid brass nozzle is adjustable to
provide a maximum coverage spray pattern for most any windshield.
Premier wet arms can tie into an existing pressurized water
system, or can be used with the new Below Deck Washer Kit as
shown on page 19.
Premier Single Wet Arms Adjusts 15” to 20”
these are $$; about $90.00 each at boat supply stores

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
yo. My ISP decided to take a vacay, again..
There arre few sources for heated ws washer fluid Heaters, but they are $
such as AlphaTherm AT-38OD Windshield Washer Fluid Heater

$79.95
The unit starts to operate when the ignition is on (engine running) and battery voltage level
is higher than 13.0 volts. Once the unit is activated, the washer fluid inside its heating
chamber will be heated and kept within pre-determined temperature limits (140 – 150°F),
so there is always hot fluid inside the unit’s heating chamber which can be used by a driver
for cleaning the windshield.

Each time the driver activates the factory installed washer system, heated washer fluid is
applied to the windshield for approximately the first 3 seconds of spray. Three seconds of
the spray delivers approx. 50-60 cc of fluid that is considered sufficient amount of fluid for
one spray. The next portion of heated washer fluid is available in 10-20 second(depending
on ambient conditions).

The HeatedWash unit uses full power of 50 Amps for 30 seconds to heat the washer fluid
up to pre-determined temperature limits (140 – 150°F), and minimal power to keep it
within these limits. The unit’s power consumption is less than 2 Amps per hour.

Once the unit starts to operate (engine is running), it will heat the washer fluid in
approximately 30 seconds; driver operates the washer system manually to spray the
heated washer fluid onto the windshield. Recommended duration of spray is 3 seconds.
Driver can spray as many times as he wants. Best results are achieved when time
intervals between sprays are approx. 20 second

*:
Heigth 5.5 inches (137 mm)
Width 4 inches (100 mm)
Thickness 1.75 inches (43 mm)
Weight *:
1.01 lbs (460 g)
* Without prime, bracket and cables attached

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I think on the pre 87s the nozzle is easy to access. The 87+ you have to get crafty to re attach the hose with the wiper motor in the way.

If the washer fluid motor quits working, most of the time you can just clean all the rust build up off the exterior, clean all the build up out of the water fluid reservoir. Spray some pb blaster inside the washer motor, plug it back in and there's a good chance it will work again. Just FYI, don't take the motor apart if you're unfamiliar with it; the bushings for the motor are very hard to get back in their place while you're putting it together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts