Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my 89 bronco and like everyone the bolt for the thermostat housing broke. After trying an extractor it broke in the bolt.... now I cannot get a drill bit to bit to do a helicoil or left hand bit.

I realize its now real bad. Am I stuck replacing the lower intake? I looked on eBay and are going for 150. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.0
117 Posts
Well, I would say you are doomed to remove the lower manifold, for certain. Whether you take it to a shop to have them remove it, or replace it, would be up to you to figure out which was better. I would hope a machine shop would be easy on the wallet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Where I am lack of machine shops is the problem. Besides eBay any spots to find a lower? Is 150 normal?

also what years can I use the same intake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Working on my 89 bronco and like everyone the bolt for the thermostat housing broke. After trying an extractor it broke in the bolt.... now I cannot get a drill bit to bit to do a helicoil or left hand bit.

I realize its now real bad. Am I stuck replacing the lower intake? I looked on eBay and are going for 150. Is that normal?
Try to get the broken easy out with a small chisel or pick. If remove the broken bolt.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,737 Posts
Try one of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-4-in-Diamond-Arbored-Hole-Saw/1000448897 will have to get right size, I just randomly picked 1 .
You can use this style as the hole in the middle should fit over the bit that is broke off. Then you would just have the hole left to deal with via a helicoil or a keensert (what I prefer though maybe hard to do where this one is at)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it was screwed up bad. The drill walked and doesn’t seem like it is going to happen.

just bought a 1995 upper/lower for 155 shipped. That will work with my 89 right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts