Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my thermostat that I just replaced because it got stuck open. And trying to replace it but it keeps leaking. Got a new gasket and it still leaks. Should I let the RTV dry longer or put more RTV. I am at a loss as when I did it a month ago it went fine.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,359 Posts
they can be a PITA to install correctly..you don't need gobs of RTV..just make sure the thermostat is properly seated in the housing then apply some RTV to the gasket and lay it over the thermostat..you can let it set up for a few minutes, then install..tighten the bolts down just enough to hold in place, then give it some time to cure, if you're using permatex it calls for about to hours cure time..then give the bolts another turn to make sure they're snug.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they can be a PITA to install correctly..you don't need gobs of RTV..just make sure the thermostat is properly seated in the housing then apply some RTV to the gasket and lay it over the thermostat..you can let it set up for a few minutes, then install..tighten the bolts down just enough to hold in place, then give it some time to cure, if you're using permatex it calls for about to hours cure time..then give the bolts another turn to make sure they're snug.
Pretty sure you were right on the money. Took it off and saw an imprint of where the thermostat was on the gasket. Put the thermostat in first RTV around housing then gasket and RTV around intake manifold. I’ll wait a couple hours for it to dry then fill it up with coolant.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
i use permatex RTV for lots of different gaskets. the process varies depending on the RTV. read the instructions for the specific RTV.

and definitely make sure the thermostat is where it's supposed to be inside the housing.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
I fought to get mine to seal correctly, There's a ridge that goes around the thermostat and presses into the gasket to seal, it can get corroded away very easily and then is a PITA to seal. I've made do by using 2 gaskets stacked with some sealant, but the permanent fix was to find a used thermostat housing that wasn't corroded. I looked at aftermarket housings but they dont even have the ridge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts