Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im replacing the thermostat and the water outlet. I got everything on but this damn thing is leaking now. There were 2 gaskets, a paper gasket the other is a cork gasket. Am i suppose to use both or just one or the other that came with the water outlet and thermostat? The only one i used was the paper gasket and when it started leaking i took off the water outlet and now the paper gasket is trashed. Not thinking about it i returned the cork gasket before I replaced the thermostat and the water outlet.

Thanks for any help. Do i need both or should i go buy another cork gasket?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
You should be able to get a new paper gasket form a parts store. If you clean the surfaces real good it shouldn't leak. I usually add some RTV on the surface to help hold the gasket in place while putting the pieces together.

Good luck,

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so should i go paper or cork? Also whats the easiest way to get to that bottom bolt on the water outlet? I may not of had it tight enough, cant get a socket on it and I was using a wrench but thats a pain in the [email protected]@. Do they make a bent wrench that would make this easier?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I've never heard of cork being used on the therm housing. You could always make your own gasket from a cereal box if you have to, and use some kind of gasket glue and you are good to go. Just make sure you remove all the old gasket material. Plus the combination wrench is the only way I know of any ways to remove that one bolt.

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
make sure the thrm didnt slip out of its little groove it sits in, that will cause the bottom of the housing to never touch the intake and will cause leaking from the bottom of the housing

·
Registered
30 Posts
replaced mine a few weeks ago and first time around therm was'nt seated, just like muddybronco13 posted. i held the therm in place thru the outlet hole when i did it the second time. also, make sure yer sealent/rtv is dry before fluids/running. stuff i used had a 24 hr dry time.

and, if anyone knows, haynes & chilton stated my therm was positioned vertically on a 5.8, but no such luck, it's kinda a pain to get it seated right.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
When I last changed my T-stat, like a few months back, the gasket that came with it was of the peel & stick varity.....very nice set up for keeping it in place.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the thermo and the water outlet on, so far no leaks, but where can i find one of those combination wrenches in case i may need one in the future???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts