Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the thermostat with removing the water pump on a '86 Bronco with a 302FI?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to be above the water pump where the upper rad. hoses attaches. One of the bolts is conviently placed behind the water pump. FUN!!!:duh

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
it should be right on the lower intake. There are no covered bolts, just 2. you can remove the bolts, scrap off the old gasket, replace thermostat and gasket and rebolt. All without removing anyhting else.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
DAMIT :banghead
First off you need to get a Haynes manual if you want to work on your truck, but don't know anyhing. :twak

Secondly, hold on let me see if I can get some pictures uploaded to the net for ya :beer

·
Registered
262 Posts
tomahawk17233 said:
It appears to be above the water pump where the upper rad. hoses attaches. One of the bolts is conviently placed behind the water pump. FUN!!!:duh
I know what you are saying, when I first looked at mine I was not sure it could be taken off with the pump in place. I had to use an offset box wrench (I think that is what it is called) and lots of swearing to get it off, but it can be done.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
The thermostat mounts in a housing like this:

Which mounts to the lower intake here:

I just unbolt it hoses attached and everything, use my Dremil to sand off the old gasket in seconds. Put in the new thermostat w/ gasket and bolt it back on. It's a 15 minute job :beer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. I have a damn Haynes manual. It doesn't properly show the correct thermostat housing on my engine.

2. I tried to get the right bolt out. The water pump is in the way. The left bolt is about an inch long, If the right is that long it will hit the water pump before coming completely out.

Thanks for the pics, but I know what hell I'm talking about. Even thought I new to a 302 Bronco, I've worked on enough Fords to know what I'm doing.

Later,
Certified Shadetree Mechanic

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
well then techically you have to remove the timing cover which the water pump bolts too. That is a lot of work. The water pump won't help you much. So if you can't get that little bolt out with the directions I gave you? You need to pay somebody to do it for you before you remove the timing cover. :goodfinge

Wan-a-be :goodfinge

·
Registered
262 Posts
Like I said it can be done, I have a 90 302 and I just did it not a week ago. I thought that the bolt would not come out either because of the lenght, but it did.

EDIT - the haynes doesn't help much as the directions are vauge at best for this one.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
I used an open ended wrench to get that second bolt off, it took some time, but it was the only thing I could get back there.

This pic is from when I replaced my water pump, the read circle is the thermostat housing. Use and open ended or box end wrench to get it going. Good luck. :thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I have pics scanned of my engine I will post pics, I hope you guys with the newer (88+) realized how much better u have it with a serptenine belt and different AC pump bracket. If you saw my setup you would understand.

·
Registered
169 Posts
in the name of fairness

there are several style timing cover/water pumps out there from the factory.

mine:

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=59472&toggle=fullsize&filename=351W2002_1126

but then there's also this:

for this style pump

both timing covers mate up to 302/351 block the same...

and btw i ordered both of these at a ford parts counter and specified the application so it wasn't a "misunderstanding"

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
I own an 86 Bronco with a 302. I have replaced the thermostat many times in the 10 years I have owned it. I have never had to remove the water pump to do it.

Fireguy50 is right you would also haf to remove the timing chain cover since thats what the water pump bolts to.

But you either have some kind of strange setup, or you are doing somthing wrong.

And also, I dont see where the serpentine belt and AC bracket off an 87 up would make it any esier:shrug

It sounds to me like you are trying to take the bolt compleatly out with the thermostat housing still in place. The bolt does not haf to come compleatly out of the thermostat hosing. It just has to come out of the lower intake.

Once it is threaded out of the intake brake the thermost hosing loose from the gasket and lift it up with the bolt still dangiling from the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
the 2nd bolt is shorter than the first. dont be so assumptive and just take it out. its a PITA but who cares.

I hate it went newbs are sobby. its annoying especially when they come on here asking a question and some one tries to help.

oh and if you dont know what an upper and lower intake are you havent worked on enough fords to know jack.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What a bunch of fawking snobs. Holy chit.

Jermil got it right -- use a box end or open end. It'll reach, the problem is usually finding a wrench the right length or with the right offset to clear the TFI/dizzy/front dress/etc etc. So if your wrench doesn't fit, use it as an excuse to buy new tools. A box end with a bend at the end usually works for me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts