Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IT'S time for me to replace the thermostate in my 95 full size w/5.0. I use the truck as a daily driver. and tow a 19ft. trailer about 350 miles a week with it. My question is am i better off with a cooler temp (160)degree or go with the 180. I was thinking the 160 being the summer is here and the towing making the engine run harder. Not sure of any drawbacks. Any and all comments welcome.

Danny

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with the 160 recently. for the $5 price difference, should be worth it. Although I am not pulling a trailer daily.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,127 Posts
Your computer needs the 195 to operate properly. Anything else will make the computer think its not warmed up enough, and dump more fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
195. Its what they were built run with. Keeping too cold a tstat in the Bronco will not allow the computer to open the loop like it should and therefore, the truck will not properly and will suffer for it. Ad an aftermarket temp gauge so you can see what your truck is truly running at tempwise and adjust down if necessary (which I seriously doubt it will be).

·
Registered
131 Posts
x2
Stick with the stock t-stat it runs better.
If you are towing a larger cooler and possibly an electric fan would be better than a 160 thermostat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice. I just pulled the thermo and it say 192. motorcraft. is that considered a 195

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
thanks for the advice. I just pulled the thermo and it say 192. motorcraft. is that considered a 195
Yeah. When you go to the parts store, they will ask you if you want 180 or 195. 195 is the call... Also, dont get your tstat at the zone... get a decent one at Napa or even the local Ford dealer...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Your computer needs the 195 to operate properly. Anything else will make the computer think its not warmed up enough, and dump more fuel.
:stupid

Your stock PCM is programmed for a 195 degree thermostat and uses engine temperature to assist in determining proper air/fuel ratio. With an out-of-range thermostat, your Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor will give the PCM inaccurate data promoting a rich condition which will reduce your gas milage and efficiency.

A 160 degree thermostat is generally for a built engine, like mine, where the PCM has been tuned for those parameters. If you want your engine to be more resistant to overheating, install a bigger radiator.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Stick with a 195 thermostat. If you're worried about your truck running hot, put in an oil cooler and a larger radiator. Aluminum rads work a lot more efficiantly than your stock rad. If you haven't already done it, get a good trans cooler. With the towing and higher temps to begin with, your trans will thank you for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts