1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
just pull it all out and go put the puzzle back together with your welder:toothless

·
Registered
215 Posts
yes unfortunately the carrier is the 8.8's weak point. i broke mine a few years ago, not quite that bad, but i did have to rebuild the entire rear end. I went with a richmond lunchbox locker and haven't had a problem with it in about 5 years of worst case abuse and wheelin I could throw at it with my 33's, on and off road. So far I have only managed in tearing the tread off my tires.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Fawesome! :rockon Thanks for sharing the carnage pic, & best of luck getting 'er back together.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Thats neat...I wouldn't wanna do that...but neat.

KC

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Looks alot like what mine did a few months ago turning into the driveway, but mine started with the pinion bearings going on strike. Had to lock in the 4WD to get the fat pig out of the road and up the drive. Glad I have a gravel driveway. :toothless Have fun fixing it. I went and pulled another rear from an F150 so that I could get the Bronco moving again.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Nice just nice! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW.... Nice carnage!

But an excuse for a locker or spool ;)
Im going to go with an Eaton tru trac in the rear and an aussie locker up front. This is my daily driver and she spends most of her life on the road, so I dont want to deal with a locker or spool in the rear. I was very happy with the ford limited slip as a compromise for street/OR, until it chunked itself.

just pull it all out and go put the puzzle back together with your welder:toothless
I was gunna use super glue. You think welding's a better idea?

yes unfortunately the carrier is the 8.8's weak point. i broke mine a few years ago, not quite that bad, but i did have to rebuild the entire rear end. I went with a richmond lunchbox locker and haven't had a problem with it in about 5 years of worst case abuse and wheelin I could throw at it with my 33's, on and off road. So far I have only managed in tearing the tread off my tires.
This one had 125K on it when it chunked. My 93's open diff has 142K on it and has seen much greater abuse. No rhyme or reason to it, other than, as you said, its a weak point.

Looks alot like what mine did a few months ago turning into the driveway, but mine started with the pinion bearings going on strike. Had to lock in the 4WD to get the fat pig out of the road and up the drive. Glad I have a gravel driveway. :toothless Have fun fixing it. I went and pulled another rear from an F150 so that I could get the Bronco moving again.
Im sort of lucky in that respect. I had a 'spare' on hand, so to speak. I spent yesterday pulling the rear out of my 93XLT and shoving it under the 95, so the 95 is back on the road (just in time for work) and I've got the fragged axle in the garage where I can rebuild it at my leisure. Im just about ready to order the parts, but Im still waffling on the gear ratio. I'll never go over 33' tires on the 95, as it wont fit in the garage with anything larger, so I dont need anything over 4.10 on the gears, but I dont want to take the milage hit for 4.10s with 31/33 tires. On the other hand, if I stick with 3.55s, I wont have to swap the front gears and can save some money, but Ive been wanting to ditch the 3.55s for awhile. I would prefer 3.89 range, but I can find a set of 3.89 reverse cut for the danaTTB up front. I hate to do it, but I think Im going to wind up going 3.73s. Thus my dilema....3.73s or 4.10s...niether of which I want.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would go with the 4.10's. I run 33's on my Bronco and just rebuilt my rear end putting in a ls carrier (dd also). It makes a big difference over the 3.55's. I'm just saving up to get a front locker and rebuild kit, already have the gears.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Nice work. Looks like some nice carnage

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More like a picture is worth a thousand bucks .
+10 accurate statement bonus points.

If I change the gear ratio though, it'll be closer to $1500 with the front axle gear/carrier parts.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn, that's sexy! :hump
Where were you when that sumbitch grenaded on you?
Half way between east-jesus and west-bumfcuk. Where else would something like this happen? (no offense intended to the language or religion sensative types)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts