Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So TLW asked me to stop at the library and grab a book for her that she put on hold, no sweat going right by. The librarian says oh yes let me grab it it’s called “One Yard Wonders” ......WTF my wife doesn’t watch sports and loathes football so why in the hell is she getting a football blunders book!!

Then I see it
716CE744-AADE-4B48-A079-5D72C73E28EB.jpeg

DOH
F06078A0-7636-434E-A645-2AE98A1D58CB.jpeg

She likes to see while I’m wrenching!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I got one for you.

I'm helping my Daughter with her 8th grade Algebra homework. WTF is going on in middle school!!! She is learning quadratic equations and how to solve for X using slope intercept form. This is stuff I learned in college Algebra.. not high school... hell in Middle school you where lucky in half the kids could do multiplication of fractions. Now if have to fork out 150$ for a graphing calculator just to get her through this craziness.

·
Eric
2,459 Posts
I got one for you.

I'm helping my Daughter with her 8th grade Algebra homework. WTF is going on in middle school!!! She is learning quadratic equations and how to solve for X using slope intercept form. This is stuff I learned in college Algebra.. not high school... hell in Middle school you where lucky in half the kids could do multiplication of fractions. Now if have to fork out 150$ for a graphing calculator just to get her through this craziness.
Looks like that keeps getting pushed earlier. I graduated HS in 2001 and quadratic equations/slope intercept were taught at the tail-end of Algebra 1-2 during Freshman year and re-visited in Algebra 3-4 during Junior year. I've met a 7th grader that reads/writes/speaks Latin. I didn't get "Foreign Languages" until HS and it was an elective. His Latin was regular course-work. WTF indeed.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,915 Posts
I graduated in '96 We had Algebra 1 as freshmen, then Geometry sophomore year and Algebra 2 junior year. I don't remember what was senior year. I'm glad they didn't start that hard stuff earlier, I wouldn't have been in the top of my class then. :ROFLMAO: Latin in 7th grade. Wow. Foreign language was also high school for us.

I need to look for that book. I like to sew.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We had a smoking section where all the burn outs hung out when I was in HS.

The US doesn’t make the top 25 countries in math or top 15 in English.

It’s about time we catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
I took pre-algebra three times in college before I passed. Math is not one of my strong suits. Thank god I can build.
The math seems much easier to grasp on a bench, on the floor, in the shop, at the build site... anywhere but a classroom.

Pretty sure that's why I still suck at wrenchin' and rely on you good people so much.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Graduated in 07 from a Catholic HS. Algebra 1 was available to 8th graders as the "smart" class. Took algebra 2 freshman year and did fine until augmented matrices. Still dont know what that is. Geometry sophomore year, pre-calc junior, and college calc senior year. Did ok. Took Latin freshman and junior years. Latin sucks because the format for learning is different than modern day languages. There are no word in Latin for truck, hamburger, pizza, tire, TV, or anything invented after about 500 AD. I dont remember but maybe half a percent of what I learned in Latin.

Something that makes me say wtf is how our elected officials think they can pay for Medicare or whatever expansion by taxing cigarettes more and more. So something we already pay an outrageous amount for gets another dollar tacked on so some fat cat can get more money. That's not fair because you're relying on a minor percentage of the population to pay for something available to those who didnt pay a cent into. Its plain not fair and is targeting a specific demographic. They wont add tax on makeup, or those who buy a bus pass or, those buying a football. I know some states have really high taxes on cigs, and I'm glad we arent there yet, but damn. A pack of marlboros costs 3.99 to the gas station and they mark them up one dollar. So the other 2.75 is taxes that go to fund the corruption of our elected fat cats and those who cheat the system. My aunt has "back problems" and hasn't worked since she was 35. Yet she has no problem doing normal life things. I'm sick of paying for lazy people. She could easily get a job as a cashier, bank teller, book keeper, etc. But nope, she wants to milk off those of us who earn a living. I'm all for paying those who are ACTUALLY disabled. You know: missing a leg, cant walk, blind, mentally... things that actually inhibit everyday life.

Rant over lol

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,915 Posts
I took pre-algebra three times in college before I passed.
I didn't do that hot in high school algebra. I don't know why I thought college algebra would be easier. Apparently you're supposed to do homework and study. Who knew?! Taking two classes for Mechanical Engineering and working 45 hours week was tough. Especially when I don't math. That's why I only made it through 3 semesters before I realized M.E. wasn't in my cards.

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
I was thinking on that post earlier this morning. The sad thing is... years later when I was in my Orthotic/Prosthetic training, I had to learn metric conversion and we used lots of metric measurements and every cut/fit had to be exact making prosthetics. Just goes to show my previous point, give me some hands on work and I can figure it out and do quite well. Sit me at a desk with a book and nothing to actually get my hands on and my brain just wonders off.

This thread needs pics, so here's a pic of some prosthetics I made back in school.
They kinda fit in the WTF?!? category... right?

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
LOL! The guy that took that last pic with me in it, captioned the picture: "...and I got this one off a guy trying to run away."

I had a great time in the course and in my limited time working in the field. I've rarely felt anything in my life as satisfying and watching a child run off through the lab wearing thier first foot, that I made for 'em. Wish I could have kept working that gig.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No picture but had a WTF was I thinking today when I told my kid I’d help put a timing belt on his buddy's 98 Toyota Taco-ma..... holy shit I like me some American automobiles... was a real pita but we got it all buttoned up and rolled it out of our shop right before we got a monsoon as we were checking everything for leaks, yep the hood was leaking all over us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts