Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 302
Its got a miss. On first diagnosis, #1 wasn't getting any spark. I stop the engine and check a few things, still #1 isn't gatting any spark but the 7 others are fine. Then stop the engine again, now #1 is getting a good consistant and hot spark, but #6 is missing about five times in a row, then it gets a spark. Then it misses about another five times and then it sparks. At that same time, #7 and #3 were missing about every other hit. #1 had a good spark the whole time though.

The distributor is a new Ford distributor that was installed six months ago and it doesn't have any more then 1000 miles on it. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires were also new then and they look fine. All the wires ohm out fine.
I had a new TFI modlue in a box that Ford gave me when they were working on it, so I installed it and it still did the same thing.
Any thoughts?

And the background that started this problem...
The truck sat unmoved for about 6 weeks. When I needed to use it the battery was dead, which its never done before. Its sat that long before on a regular basis and still starts like it has been driven every day. So I put the charger on the battery, got it running, and drove it 80 miles. When I got to where I was going, the truck was started and ran for about 5 minutes, then turned off and parked for 10 minutes. Then back on for 5 minutes and off for 10. I did that probably 30 times over a 6 hour period while I was doing some work, then I started the truck for the 80 mile drive home. About half way there it started missing and did it the rest of the way home. That was last week, so it sat for a week untill now when I had time to mess with it. I don't think all the starting and stopping should have caused any problems, but...

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,493 Posts
I have had a set of motorcraft wires go bad in 6 months. The coil wire ended up burnt in half at the boot for the dizzy. This wire supplies all cylinders with spark thru the rotor. My suggestion would be try changing the coil wire out and just see what happens.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you pull the cap and rotor and look inside? i'm wondering if the rotor is stripped on the inside or something.
Yes I did. Everything still looks new.

A bad distributor will make noise & leak oil, and it MIGHT even shear its pin or damage the cam, but it won't cause ONE cylinder to miss. That's coming from the block, piston, valves, plug, wire, cap, coil, SPOUT, or TFI.
Explain this to me then. Why would it have no spark on #1 only, the first two times it was running, and a good spark on the seven other cylinders? Then after it was started again the spark on #1 came back and left some of the other cylinders? If it was a problem with anything else like the coil, SPOUT or TFI wouldn't the miss be on different cylinders or very irratic and not on #1 only? The spark was checked right at the terminals on the cap, not the plug. What other parts on there can control the spark to one cylinder only other then the distributor?

·
Registered
250 Posts
bad wire (Maybe mouse eaten while sitting) or ECM???

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought about the wires, but all the plug wires check OK, and like I said I don't have any spark right at the distributor cap, before the plug wires. If you were talking about a primary wire it could be a possibility. Does the ECM have the capability to control spark to only one cylinder individually or all of them together?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Steve, add this to your experience...
The distributor absolutely can cut the spark off to one cylinder only, or other cylinders intermitintly. I swapped it out with another and still used my original cap and rotor and it took care of the problem.
I even ran it before the swap to make sure it still had the miss, then swapped it out which didn't take longer then 10 minutes, timed it and it ran smooth as can be. I've been driving it a lot today too to make sure it wasn't a temporary fix, and so far all is good.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I hope that genuine Ford dist

is going up the @$$ of the stealership that held your truck hostage all those weeks Mike !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean months...If I rember right it was 3 even.

And yes thats the new distributor they installed. If I needed a reason to stir up my blood presssure again I'd be there first thing monday morning.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was my thoughts, but I can't see anything wrong with it. Even if was slightly out of round it shouldn't matter with the PIP since its still going to break the signal.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Couldn't it still have been a bad PIP in the dist your removed? Unless you swapped that over too.
Can't speak to why it would affect only one cylinder, but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TFI was bad in the re-manufactured dist I just stuck in, back in May of this year.

Could have kicked them in the slats for that one !!!!!!!!!!

Sixlitre

1 - 13 of 13 Posts