Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started the Bronco and it ran for half a minute and then died. Now when I try to start it I cannot hear the fuel pump priming. Know the sound the pump makes when you turn your key half way? The motor turns over fine and I am getting spark. Checked all the fuses for the pump and they are all still good.

Anything else I should check before I drop the tank and get a new pump?

Anyone find the pumps for less than 300 bucks? Any aftermarkey ones I can use?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,331 Posts
I'd check the connector on top of the tank, mine was crappy and it wasn't making a good connection. try wiggling it around a bit a see if it primes, you could also put power to the approprate connections to test the pump, and test the connector for a bad wire

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since the motor only has 100,000 miles on it and has never had any problems I think my diagnosis is good. It cranks, has spark, all the fuses are still good, and I think the pump has been getting louder. It will not prime at all and since it's 11 years old I dont think the pump going out is out of the question

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
XLTChris said:
Know the sound the pump makes when you turn your key half way?
Actually the sound you used to hear is the sound of your pump going bad. Sometimes they take quite some time to die. My old 92 did that for a couple years. Then died.

The new one was perfectly quiet.

I also replaced the gas tank when I did the pump.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My pump went out a couple of months ago. I was going along at about 75 and all of the sudden I lost power going up a hill and when I pulled to the side it died. I figured it was the fuel pump but wasn't sure. And what made it worse was that I was on the road when it happened in Dallas, hours away from either one of my homes. So I had to get towed to the Ford dealer and they had to replace it, costing me $875. If I was home I could have done it myself. So bottom line, it sucks breaking down on a road trip.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Steve83 said:
:rolleyes:

Is that what you call "diagnosis"? :wacko

I think what Steve is saying is that you should bring out the old Haynes and run some real diagnostics. It should have detailed test procedures.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's got giving me a code and I am 99% sure the connection is still god. I am going to drop the tank and look further before I get a new pump.

It did wine alot. Even standing outside of the truck it was getting loud.

Just happy it did it in a parking lot and not in Mexico or on a trail someplace

·
Registered
744 Posts
Carry a inline fuel pump E2000. Than you willl never be stranded. I lost a pump on the Rubicon one year, My good buddy Mark lent me his in line spare. Just pull the filter and add the pump. Worked great. Drove it around that way for about 2 weeks before I finally got around to droping the tank. Now I always have the in line one with me.

It just so happens mine is out again. Along with ordering a better pump since this one was only 2 years old, I ordered a fuel pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on the pressure and know when the pump is starting to go out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
filter

above the housing that contains the fuel filter (where the fuel lines meet) that part has tiny screens that can get clogged with trash...that is what was wrong with mine....i replaced everything to do with the fuel system and that is all that was wrong!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check the filter also. I replaced the in line one not too long ago. I cut the old one open to look and it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My pump died last week, it was running fine when I parked it, jumped in to go home it started for about 10 seconds and cut off then it would start and cut off. I've got an adjustable fuel regular with a gauge, fuel pressure was down to 10psi. after cranking. Enertia switch was good and the pump wouldn't pump up when I turned the key. Picked up a pump at Napa for $180.00 and a few hours work and the Bronco was up and going again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what I am going to have to do.. I tried to take the gas skid plate off today. It's all dinged so I wanted to pound it back but all the bolts are stuck on. So I just soaked them all with penetrating lube and will hit them again tomorrow and then change the thing on monday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts