Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHOULD I GO FOR IT, OR WOULD IT BE TOO MUCH HASSLE. I HAVE 33S NOW.
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST TIRES I COULD PULL WITH MY MOTOR. 400 WITH 4 BARRELL HOLLEY CARB. EDLEBROK INTAKE AND STARIGHT PIPES N SUCH

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Roman huh?:popc1: You could turn 49"s with that motor. The real question is what gears will let you're motor turn those tires. IMO, body lifts are a waste of plastic and good bolts/hardware.:thumbup

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
There is a key on the left side of your keyboard called "Caps Lock", once you locate it, push it.

Search is your friend.

·
Registered
170 Posts
With a 3" body lift - the minimum tire size you should run is a 44 inch Tire - the 400 should pull it just fine. No need to worry about axles, or gears. That's why it is called a dana 44 - that is the recommended size tire that Dana specs. Your brakes should be fine also. :goodfinge

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
If you just want to put tires under you truck a body lift is a cheap way to do it. it adds really no benificial wheeling capabilities other than bigger tires.

i also think that 3" body lift is excessivie. if you have the money just do a suspension lift

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
I like having a body lift on a truck. i ran my 86 For a while with just a three inch body lift. it makes some jobs easier to do on it too, pulling transmission, has tank, other smaller stuff too. i have a body lift ready to put on mine once i patch the floor a little more. i would run the body lift and 35's, but thats just me

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,736 Posts
Is the truck nicer or more of a trail rig? I am guessing a trail rig by the want for 44's. I would just trime the fenders and run 35's and leave everything else stock.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
4" suspension lift, no body lilft and 38.5 TSLs on mine. Cut my fenderwells and installed Bushwacker flares. But that's just me. I hate the hassles of a body but I've done several on Early Broncos...

·
2,708 Posts
with combo of body lift and trimming you can run 38's, that would be the biggest i'd run on stock axles, other wise, if you want bigger you should swap in one ton axles. the engine will have all the power you'll need, remember it's more about gearing than horse power.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
My experience with a body lift was on an 86. I put 33's on it when it was
totally stock and they rubbed so I had a 3" body lift put on it to clear the
tires better. I liked it since it moved my shifters down lower and the truck
felt high plus the ride didnt change much. The bad was the bumpers need
to be moved and motor noise increased a bit (inline 6).

·
yes
1,769 Posts

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
OK nay sayers I understand not liking a body lift but they are not useless. You say they only allow you to run bigger tires well that is the purpose and that is what a suspension lift does as well (with a few added benefits). With bigger tires comes greater ground clearance for your axles and you gain a lower center of gravity.

OK lets look at my 79 4" suspension and 3" body for a total of 7" of lift.

I will tell you if I had 7" of suspension lift only it would make the truck more tipsy. When I first lifted this truck it started as a 3" body lift and 35's. Then it went 4" suspension with a 3" body and 35's. Now it is on 38's.

Next step is 1 tons deaver 6" coils shackle flip and most likely 42's or 44's.

Don't be close minded to the function of a body lift. Most say they suck because they don't like the look of them well that don't mean they don't have their place. I love mine and I telling you it makes working on you rigs underside much simpler...

Does this mean I will put one under a mall crawler no I would not but put one on my wheeling rig yes. Worry about looks on your mall crawlers...

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
OK nay sayers

Don't be close minded to the function of a body lift. Most say they suck because they don't like the look of them well that don't mean they don't have their place. I love mine and I telling you it makes working on you rigs underside much simpler...

Does this mean I will put one under a mall crawler no I would not but put one on my wheeling rig yes. Worry about looks on your mall crawlers...
Can I 3rd above?

Me a naysayer? Not at all. Are they functional? Sure they are and as you pointed out Dale they serve there purpose. If I was building a wheeler I would also use a body lift. My biggest complaint about a body lift is the mall crawler's that use them. Nothing worse than looking at a big gap between the frame and tub.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
Yep you can 3rd it.

I wouldn't put a body lift on my Bronco because it is a street queen more than anything else. The 79 will keep one..:thumbup

·
Registered
533 Posts
With a 3" body lift - the minimum tire size you should run is a 44 inch Tire - the 400 should pull it just fine. No need to worry about axles, or gears. That's why it is called a dana 44 - that is the recommended size tire that Dana specs. Your brakes should be fine also. :goodfinge
i run a 3" body lift. you have a stock truck. i have a 9" suspension lift. find me one bigger that bolts on. my brakes work fine:goodfinge. DON'T BE AN A$$. i am:chili:

·
2,708 Posts
if you decide to run a body lift, shoot me a pm, i have just the blocks i can sell you pretty cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts