Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a month or so ago I start thinking more about selling the '89 and getting a Ranger. In a few months I'll be adding about 15 miles to my commute, making about 30 miles and will be interstate.

It started out, let's see if I can pick up a '99 or so for a decent price, then I kept seeing newer stuff.... Then I wound up in the new car showroom asking too many questions and one of the ladies said for about $4000 more than the '04 Ranger I'm going to look at, I can get a brand new one. Great. Just the temptation I needed. :banghead

With the rebates Ford is offering and my discount with Ford, I can get an 08 Ranger with a 2.3 I4 and manual 5 speed for about $13,000. I also just joined the credit union and can get a new car loan for 5.5%.

The looking started out as a gas saver, then it progressed into needing something reliable. I missed going to something last year because dad didn't want me going 3 hours away by myself in the '89. I've had the '89 almost 10 years, its served me very well and is still really solid and will make a great daily driver for somebody...I'm just done with it. *shrug* I've got two toys, I need something "smart" with little tires and a little engine and maybe even a cute little factory warranty. :toothless I'm always going somewhere by myself, and if I get a wild hair to drive to Tennessee for something, I want to be able to do that without thinking about what kinda shape the Bronco is in.

Apparently the Rangers hold their value fairly well. I've looked at '04s, 05s and 06s that are almost as much as the '08. Plus by the time I get serious about this around May we might have some 09s on the lot and can get it even cheaper.

I talked to my sister and brother in law about it and they think I should go for it. I don't have kids, I'm not tied to anything really as far as bills go other than the cell phone, and credit card. I've got plenty of money saved and stashed for any medical/health emergency. Just once in your life everybody should splurge and buy a brand new vehicle. I hate to sound negative, but with my health...if I don't do this now, I may never get to.

Just looking for more outside opinions. If I buy something used, there's no telling where its been. And the payments won't be *that* different between new and used, especially for some of the Rangers I looked at. Some of them are even in the $9500-$10k range. So why not go new for a few thousand more. *shrug*

·
Resident Wrecker Driver
1,325 Posts
Make sure where you buy the Ranger is a reputable dealer, my buddy bought a 98 from what I would call either a scrapyard or chopshop. We've done 3 engines, 1 tranny, 2 computers, 1 fuel pump and a rear end in 2 years.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i'd grab one, ive seen them advertised up here for upper 12 figure. 2.3, 5spd, i was tempted to grab one myself until i got into my current lease through work, which was unpassable.

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
I like the ranger for a DD. I had a '94 and ran the piss out of it as a highway DD for 6 years. I had to do the clutch once...that's it (brakes of course). If you can swing the payments and don't need inside space...go for it..! :thumbup

·
Registered
97 Posts
i just got an 03 xlt 4.0, 5spd, ext cab, 4x4, with 90021 miles. drove it off the lot tax,tag,title for $12000

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
I know you had been working at a Ford dealer. Do they offer employee discounts? Seems like a real good deal for the money.

I miss my 96. It was a reg cab short bed 2.3 5 speed and 4 wheel drive. Never seen another one like it and probably never will. Great trucks for the money. I say go for a brand new one. You deserve it....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ford Ranger

My neighbor bought a new one earlier this year. It is a four cylinder with a five speed. He loves it. Very reliable and good gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Make sure where you buy the Ranger is a reputable dealer, my buddy bought a 98 from what I would call either a scrapyard or chopshop. We've done 3 engines, 1 tranny, 2 computers, 1 fuel pump and a rear end in 2 years.
Thats suck, but after the first engine how is it the sellers fault on the other 2? just wondering.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you had been working at a Ford dealer. Do they offer employee discounts?
Yeah, and after talking to some guys here, I found out it doesn't matter what salesman or what dealer I buy it from. I basically go into the Ford website, enter my info and I get on their plan and that's what it costs me. Doesn't matter if it's a year old and they're trying to get it off the lot, haggling or whatever...it's basically just a little over what they paid for it. And it's a Ford thing, not a "dealer employee discount" thing. :thumbup

I say go for a brand new one. You deserve it....
That's what I'm thinking. It's time I enjoy life for a little after what I've survived and put up with. :toothless

So now I gotta do some figurin' and see what it's gonna cost me.

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
it might have been covered but what about finding a slightly used 07? that way its still a new truck but it doesnt have the drive off the lot price gouge

·
Registered
408 Posts
I beat the snot out of my '93 (2.3/5-speed) & my '94 (4.0/5-speed).....great commuter trucks.

·
Be jealous of my
923 Posts
I've got an 02 FX4 and I'm looking to add another one sometime this summer. Great trucks, can take a beating, and they're not only reliable but fun to drive.

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Apparently the Rangers hold their value fairly well. I've looked at '04s, 05s and 06s that are almost as much as the '08. Plus by the time I get serious about this around May we might have some 09s on the lot and can get it even cheaper.
that made me laugh. my '00 Ranger is KBBed at 3,500... 140k miles 4 banger 2wd flairside XLT

go try to find a toyota that year in the same condition mine is in at the same price.

the new duratech i4s are MUCH better then the old Limas if you like to keep things stock. More pep to em. I get in the little single cab shortbeds at the dealership i work at and its like night and day between the new ones and my '00.

Stay away from the 3.0L.... 4cyl power with 6cyl mpg.

if you get a 4 banger, get a 5spd= better mpg.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the used ones are nice, why pay more for the new sticker price?
Warranty. *shrug* Plus its got the new car smell. :toothless Like I said, I'm not doing this next week. I'm gonna keep scouting the Autotrader and Craigslist. The lady I talked to at work said she'd also keep an eye out for a nice trade in Ranger. This is a big purchase and I want to lay all my options out and see how the pros and cons add up.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I really like my '03 Edge. We really only got it because my brother owned it, and he wanted to get rid of it. I knew it had been cared for better than .. well, probably better than his kids. (Mostly because of his she-bitch of an ex, but that's another story...)

I digress. Go for it, Mel. They really do hold their value and warranties are bliss. If yours is anything like mine, it'll be a fun little thing to drive. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 75 Posts