Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I installed the Saginaw and 4-bolt gear last summer that I bought from @dash_cam and it improved my steering a good bit - one he pulled from a pick and pull I believe. I installed new steering linkages and it was even better. Well, a year later and I’m developing some play (about 3” of total steering wheel rotation, 1.5” each way) again and it appears to be in the gear. I can manually rotate the steering shaft just above the gearbox back and forth with no movement at the pitman arm. So I’m thinking about getting this Cardone unit - I know it’s not a Redhead or Blue Top or whatever, but look at that price and the rebate on the core! The way I see this I’ll be making money on this swap, less my “labor” on the job. Lol.

Thoughts?

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried to adjust the box yet?
I gave it a little bit, but was cautious about going too much. I gave it about 1/4 turn a while back, and another 1/4 later. I did this fully mentally committed to getting a new gear in case it caused more problems.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought a remanned Cardone off Amazon as a direct replacement for our stock gear. I am pretty convinved my steering wheel "slop" is in the box. I have been in the steering column far enough to confirm the u-joint is good, I get good correlation between steering wheel movement and column output shaft, and I've remade every tapered joint in the linkage and comfortable with it. I had replaced the rag joint previously with no improvement, and recently installed a Borgeson 000985 with little improvement. I replaced ball joints with no improvement. I recently had it aligned with no slop improvement. That said, I do have "old" steering linkage components, and my RA bushings are coming due, and my axle pivot bushings, although looking OK, are probably original as well.

Anyway, all this to say that I think the gear is responsible. I have not tried tightening it up. I may just live with it till I get the lift put on, flip the tierods, and perhaps stick a better box on at the same time.

Let us know if you give the Cardone a whirl.

·
TTB makes me sad
171 Posts
I bought a BBB industries 4 bolt box off rockauto after my 2 bolt puked all over itself and swapped that and a Saginaw all in one go. It's much, much better. I have a minimal (very minimal) bit of play but that's either in the steering shaft or out past the box.

I would highly recommend the BBB Industries box.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,989 Posts
All one ton econolines got the 4 bolt box after 99. Diesel econolines also got hydroboost.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All one ton econolines got the 4 bolt box after 99. Diesel econolines also got hydroboost.
Yeah, according to the Cardone website, they started in 97 with this gear. There may be another 4-bolt with different spline count on the output shaft though.

·
Eric
2,577 Posts
I'll just add this as an additional reference for checking "play" in the steering wheel. It's helped me in the past, so I threw together a tech thread a while back:

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
yes the one i sent you was a junk yard gear. sorry it hasn't seemed to last as long as others.

that said, i vote that you should try it just to see if it works.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes the one i sent you was a junk yard gear. sorry it hasn't seemed to last as long as others.

that said, i vote that you should try it just to see if it works.
Hey man - no problem! I just pulled the trigger on that gear. I figure it couldn’t hurt, and with it being marked down right now they’ll be paying me to take it lol.

It’s always a crap shoot with a JY gear, and I knew that going in.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aaaaaaannnnnnd, it’s the wrong part. They sent a gear with a 36 spline sector shaft when I needed 32. That could have been my fault but the description didn’t say spline count. Must’ve gotten too excited when I saw the core rebate more than the cost. Replacement 32-spline 4-bolt on the way - should be here by next Thursday and this one gets sent back tomorrow. Came out of pocket on this a little bit - not too bad though.

Well, maybe I’ll get to this next weekend. It’ll be warmer next weekend anyway.

Glad I didn’t find this out at the last minute.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Aaaaaaannnnnnd, it’s the wrong part. They sent a gear with a 36 spline sector shaft when I needed 32. That could have been my fault but the description didn’t say spline count. Must’ve gotten too excited when I saw the core rebate more than the cost. Replacement 32-spline 4-bolt on the way - should be here by next Thursday and this one gets sent back tomorrow. Came out of pocket on this a little bit - not too bad though.

Well, maybe I’ll get to this next weekend. It’ll be warmer next weekend anyway.

Glad I didn’t find this out at the last minute.
If you say it's not as described or the wrong part you can ship for free.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you say it's not as described or the wrong part you can ship for free.
Oh yeah, I meant “came out of pocket” because the correct gear was more expensive than the one that I bought before. Return is free.

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Manual hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 301K miles
737 Posts
My Redhead made a world of difference 5yrs and over 60K miles ago. The steering is still as tight as when I installed it. Redhead use to or still do replace bushings in the box with bearings so even a remanufacture unit from other companies just use bushings and can charge a lot less. In this case you get what you pay for. Good luck, you'll get lots of practice taking it out and putting another one in.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts