Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Edit- saw it was the wrong gear. $50 is worth a try if it dont work you know you need a redhead; I'd get a redhead 4 bolt over the 2 bolt. The 2 bolt version is suppose to be the cheapened version of the 4 bolt box. Similar to how the c2 pump is a cheapened version of the saginaw pump. What internal parts of the boxes are different I dont know. Maybe someone could do a project farm style teardown on the two boxes and do a comparison.

I will give a forewarning our steering systems really do need a powersteering cooler. What kind you use doesn't matter long as it's some kind of cooler. After 1995 no other ford vehicles had a powersteering system with no cooler; even an explorer (based off a ranger- light duty truck) have a powersteering cooler mounted on the engine crossmember.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Yeah, according to the Cardone website, they started in 97 with this gear. There may be another 4-bolt with different spline count on the output shaft though.
thats exactly it only the 4.6 and 5.4 vans recieved the 32 spline 4 bolt box. Anything more HD got the 36? spline. It's been posted before in the 4 bolt swap threads.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will give a forewarning our steering systems really do need a powersteering cooler.
Thanks - yeah I did the upgrade last summer with a junkyard 4-bolt and Saginaw pump. I added an in-line magnetic oil filter and an oil cooler behind the grille. I changed all the fittings and such over to AN and O-ring for the 4-bolt, so all I have to do this time is just swap the gearbox. I should be in and out in under an hour. (y)

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was going to say, why not just for with a readhead?? It's a been one of my best upgrades..
Money, mostly. Money is tight since the ‘rona has slowed my work to a crawl. Also, I figured for the cost, trying it couldn’t hurt. If it’s bad, I’ll return it and replace it, no big deal.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
I was going to say, why not just for with a readhead?? It's a been one of my best upgrades..
a JY 4 bolt has shown to be a viable option to replace the standard steering gear.

·
Super Moderator
14,748 Posts
a JY 4 bolt has shown to be a viable option to replace the standard steering gear.
I get that..my point is that it's still a JY part, so you get what you get.

If $$ is tight it totally makes sense. Money aside, from my experience, the redhead and sag pump happen to both be extremely reliable and I've beaten the piss out of mine..

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The gear I got was much better than my old stock gear. One year into it now and a few wheeling trips (with some binding steering due to what I believe is a bad axle u joint) has brought out some slop in it. I’ll report back with the results of the swap when I get it done.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
175 Posts
Hey guys, following along this thread. @MS88Bronc Best of luck! My steering wanders at high speed (55mph!). I thought a Jeep was bad. All ball joints, tie rod ends, tires and alignment is all brand new. I’d say the 1.5” play each direction is what I have.

What is the Redhead unit? Does it bolt up to an 89? The Econoline one someone said it doesn’t. How do you mount it? New brackets/welding/fab work? I’ve replaced the power steering pump, hoses, steering box w/Pitman on my Jeep...I know I can do it on the Bronco too. The truck now tracks straight and floats along line a Caddy...tight car.

But you gotta keep a tight grip on her reins or she’ll get away.
Sorry OP for the rant!
AD9012C3-6C8D-433D-A3D9-F370CCE1B0A0.jpeg

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What is the Redhead unit? Does it bolt up to an 89? The Econoline one someone said it doesn’t. How do you mount it? New brackets/welding/fab work?
Hey Joe -
Your wandering steering could be any number of things from bad steering box to old worn out axle pivot bushings or radius arm bushings or bad wheel bearings or ball joints, of bad steering linkage joints. There’s a lot to go through to find slop.

The Redhead unit you asked about is the “brand” of steering gear remanufacturer and they make all kinds of vehicle-specific gears so yes, they reman Bronco/Fseries gears just like the one you have. I think you might be mixed up with fitment issues with the Econoline PS PUMP (the Saginaw pump), which will not directly bolt on to the Bronco unless you also have the proper bracketry from the E-vans of similar year and engine. The (97-02) super duty steering gear I have will bolt directly to the Bronco frame, but needs different hose fittings since it uses o-ring fittings instead of inverted flare fittings like the stock bronco gear.

Good luck getting yours running straight.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
175 Posts
Thanks! The PO rebuilt the axles and bearings etc. but the alignment was shot and the right front tire almost bald. I gave the green light to my mech to replace whatever was bad. Only the items I listed were “bad”.

I do have a small PS leak I’m tracking the source. The pump was replaced 4 yrs ago. Still wanders. Thxs for the guidance and the Eco pump clarification. I’ll work on it and get it right.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Right? Lol. First one showed up.
well, i was gonna say you'll need to start buying them in the store. but....then now you have two so i guess not!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts