Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Ok, the front wheels were still off the ground, so after letting bubbles subside, I went back out again and turned the key on and cycled the wheel left and right a few times now that there is more oil than air in there. The level dropped more. Refilled and cycled a few more times. Level dropped again. Refilled and cycled more. Level didn’t drop.

I cranked it up, no noise, turned the wheel while engine running, no noise. Shut it off and checked reservoir, level still good and no frothy bubbles. I think it’s good now. Came off the jack stands and should be good to go. I’ll take it for a drive later to test the new gearbox.

Thanks everyone.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So just to report back...

The new steering gear is much better. I went from about 2” of steering wheel play to about 1/2 to 3/4” now. It also feels so much easier to turn - I’m guessing the PO of the previous gear must have adjusted the bolt on top because now, I can easily turn it with a pinky finger while parked when I couldn’t before.

Also, since I had an amazon credit of almost $230 from this whole process, I used it, with another $60 cash to order a Borgeson steering shaft for the full trifecta to go with the new gear and sag pump.

On another side note, I didn’t replace the oil pressure switch while I had the PS pump out since I didn’t have the right socket. I did clean up the wire connection really well though, and now the needle holds steady right where it’s supposed to.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Ok folks - all you Cardone haters were right. It started to take a dump and got loose again. So..... I said screw it. Did some research on redhead and blue top. Chose to go with Blue Top. So this morning I got up early and swapped the Cardone gear and reman sag pump with a blue top and put my OEM sag pump back in. Flushed the Mercon out with type F and bled the system. Got some air in the system once but let it rest and started again. Btw, Mercon was loud in a sag pump, type F is better.

Test drive - holy sheet! This bronco drives like a damn Indy car with 35s!! Zero play in steering now - ZERO. Very pleased! Where’s the :chili: emoji??

A++ on the Blue Top!! I think I’m finally done with swapping steering gears!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
581 Posts
This is my next big upgrade. The shaft and blue top or redhead. Is the sag swap a necessary thing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
This is my next big upgrade. The shaft and blue top or redhead. Is the sag swap a necessary thing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, not really necessary, but if your stock pump is going, it’s a good upgrade especially if you have oversized tires.

And @GetBent4x4 it was for me.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
555 Posts
It’s not hating, I just believed the other guys experience, and yes as you say
35s and no Problem.
Good you re happy now and it’s all set!
Go out enjoy your truck!!!

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
It’s not hating, I just believed the other guys experience, and yes as you say
35s and no Problem.
Good you re happy now and it’s all set!
Go out enjoy your truck!!!
I figured it was worth a try for as cheap as I got it. Live and learn. All good now thanks!

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 301K miles
870 Posts
A POS box is a POS box if all you do is rebuild it. If you take a POS box and rework it with upgraded parts in the right places a POS box can become a work of ART. Redhead and Blue Top apparently create works of ART as proven many times over on this site. I stand by my Redhead as being a work of ART compared to the POS stock unit.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts