Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am thinking about buying an '87 for my 13 year old. He can start driving at 14.5 yrs old with an adult. He has his heart set on a Bronco as a project rig for us to work on over the next couple of years. I built an 89 Cherokee into a decent trail rig using the guys on one of the XJ sites. It looks like the FSB forums are full of experienced Bronco enthusiasts so I am excited to get started learning.

I only spent about 20 minutes looking at the Bronco yesterday. It is bone stock with zero mods and is only missing the tire carrier off of the back. It runs (though seems a little under-powered) and the steering is sloppy but all of the electrical, fans, rear window, locks, heater, a/c etc. is working. It has pretty minor surface rust and the interior is decent. It was listed at a local used car lot (who has had it for 3 years!) at $2600 but the guy said he would take $1800.00 cash when offered. Not having been a Bronco guy I have no idea if this is a decent price for a "running" rig and there is not a lot of local comp pricing for me to look at. I realize that you never know how much you are going to have to spend (especially if you want to built a bulletproof trail rig) but my first goal is to get this thing up to snuff as a safe driver without spending $5K right off the bat.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I am thinking of buying it today after work.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Fill in your info, so we know where in the country you are. Your region seems to effect the price of the Bronco, sometimes considerably. Plus if we know where you are located, then can recommend where to look on the truck for common rust concerns. Unless it needs an engine and a trans right off the bat, you wont spend anywhere near $5k getting it ready for the road.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
594 Posts
Which motor? Sloppy steering seems to be an issue with all stock trucks. Haven't really dug into mine, but most likely an inspection of the steering components would tighten the steering up. Lots of ball and socket joints in the steering. Add in the bushings that wear out and the rag joint in the steering shaft. That said, you can replace most of the steering parts for a couple hundred bucks. Tune ups are one of the best things you can do for these rigs also. Price seems okay to me if there aren't a lot of issues with body work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts