Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, Im looking into getting a new dog. right now im looking at 3 different breeds.

1) Boxer

2) Another german shepard * I had a military reject dog, she spazzed when she saw guns very very cool dog*

3) Irish wolfhound

I would like to get some more info on the boxer. I know a couple ppl on here own them as I have the pictures ;D

How is their general mindset?

also what are some diseases that they are common to get. Im worried about hip displacement and thyroid problems. anyone here have a problem with that?

what ever else you think is important would be awesome
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a husky/wolf mix named bones. had to put him down because of some hip problems though. :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love all dogs including Boxers but Boxers are known to have significant health problems like:

-cancer
-hip dysplasia
-bloat
-heart and digestive problems
-hypothyroidism

I have border collies. They are extremely intelligent and athletic but they are nuts.

I vote for the wolfhound!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
my aunt had a german sheperd/basset hound mix. that was a funny looking dog. just picture a german sheperd with basset hound legs.....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to the SLC humane today and they had a boxer/pug mix....now THATS a funny combo.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
You definately need to ask Astra on this. She is a dog encyclopedia. She knows almost everything about every breed. You know how you look at trucks or cars, and can tell year, axle's engines, etc. She can look at any dog and tell you what it is, what breeds made it if it's a mutt, and most anything you would want to know about a dog like it. I vote boxer, she got my boxer for me based on what I like and I love her (Astra too)! She is playful, respectful, energetic, friendly, and very opinionated. The only thing I would have changed with mine was to instill the obediance for her to be off leash in public. It can be trained as a puppy to where they want to stay near you no matter what. Mine love to be around me in house, but once she's out free, it's a stay away game, of which I normally lose (for atleast an hour or so). Other then that, she's house trained, she knows all the basic commands, etc. Also, Crazed is absolutely correct, if you are getting a pup, try to get one from a breeder where you can meet the parents. If you get a rescue, that's good, but remember, you don't know what condition it will be in when it grows up. Ours ended up with a skin condition, so we decided not to breed her, didn't want to pass it on. But, really, get with Astra on this, this is to her, as Bronco knowledge is to us.

MM

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
OldBlue said:
I went to the SLC humane today and they had a boxer/pug mix....now THATS a funny combo.
Was it's snout inverted?

:lolup

·
Registered
484 Posts
OldBlue said:
I would like to get some more info on the boxer.

How is their general mindset?

also what are some diseases that they are common to get.
The temperment of the Boxer is great. They're energetic and playful. They have a metabolism that will make you green with envy, playing very hard, and then sleeping like the dead. (Can I get an "amen," Crazed?) They usually rank in the top 10 of breeds in intelligence tests. They're very loving, but very strong willed & occasionally stubborn. Many end up in shelters due to their "tough" look, like a Pit Bull or Bulldog, but are more likely to lick you to death than to show malicious behaviour. (People expect a ferocious protector, but Boxers are too friendly & happy-go-lucky for that job. In fact, they're commonly used as bait in dogfights.)

The most prominent health issue with Boxers is cancer. They're a lumpy breed, frequently getting small, benign tumors that will simply go away, not needing treatment. But sometimes, they're not so benign - that's something to look for in the parents & grandparents, if possible. Skin allergies are a possibility, but that's fairly common in several popular pure breeds. "Bloat," something that plagues nearly all barrell-chested breeds, is easily preventable with help from the owner. Jojo also mentioned Hip Dysplasia, which I believe is more common in the German line than the American. (Both are available here, there are only subtle differences: overall size/shape, coat texture, muzzle length, severity of underbite.) I've not had any direct experiece in the other diseases/conditions Jojo mentioned, but I know they can be a concern.

They're a fairly low-maintenance breed. You may need to clean their ears every 1-2 weeks, if you elect not to crop them. (Cropping their ears is totally elective, and the only true benefit is aesthetics.) And the size of the jowls will generally determine their perpensity to drool. :thumbup

·
Registered
484 Posts
OldBlue said:
If you don't require specific physical, emotional, and social attributes, I think a shelter is a great way to go. :thumbup Good for you. Of course, there are no guarantees - but mixed breeds tend to have a longer life span, more of an individual personality, and less overall health problems.

"Fresco" is adorable. Quick reference to her mom, "Prelude", is a good indication of how she'll look when she gets bigger - looks about 35 pounds. (Of course, without knowing what the sire looks like, you can't know for sure.) There's another breed in Prelude somewhere - it's not just Boxer & Lab, though the Boxer could have produced the pretty brindle color in Fresco. (This makes it very difficult to determine her future personality or potential health issues.) Her age also makes it difficult to predict - of course, it also makes her very impressionable. Her most formative months are coming up, and it is advantageous for her future owner to be there for them.

"Cara" is beautiful. I just love Rhodesian Ridgebacks - they're a noble and agile breed. The ad says she's good in cars, a significant plus if she's going to be a trail companion. They're known for being good hunters and protectors. (The breed has even been known to hunt lions!) They are also excellent with children. Of course, you're looking at something that could be upwards of 80 pounds. They also can have Hip Dysplasia, Cancer, Bloat, and Thyroid problems. Thier most prominent health issue is skin-related, when cysts develop in a tubelike sinus beneath the skin. Like Boxers, if you keep a good eye on her, examine her every day for new growths (simple to do with a 10 minute petting session), this shouldn't be a big problem.

If you're trying to choose between these two, I'd go with Cara. Puppies don't have too much trouble getting adopted, a large 1 year old may have more difficulty.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Well while I got you here Astra, I been thinking of getting a wheirm.....err a wearh...ummm you know one of those gray dogs...:toothless Anything you can tell me about them??? Ridgebacks are cool too, I've just always liked the coat color/ eye color combo of the +insert wierd phucked up german name that starts with a W here+...:shrug

·
Registered
484 Posts
Blaze said:
Well while I got you here Astra, I been thinking of getting a wheirm.....err a wearh...ummm you know one of those gray dogs...:toothless Anything you can tell me about them???
LOL! Well, one of the theories is the breed was developed by the Duke of Weimar - therefore, I believe you are speaking of a Weimaraner. (That's how I remember how to spell it.) These dogs are nuts! In a good way, though. They are brave, loyal, and very energetic. They have a really prominent protector instinct. They are fine with children, but have a tendency to knock down the smaller ones. ;) They were bred to hunt small prey, including birds, so you don't want to pair them with a Chihuahua or a Cockatiel - unless it's your wife's Chihuahua or Cockatiel that you don't like very much. :goodfinge They can be a bit stubborn, and easily become lonely if you spend a lot of time away. But they'll love ya lots if you're around all the time.

They also have a slight perpensity towards Bloat and Hip Dysplasia - but not much else! (I think the occasional tumor, as well.) A fairly healthy breed, overall. And that coat is gorgeous! In fact, you can use a chamois to shine your Weimaraner between brushings. Oh yeah, and their feet are webbed - though they're not instinctually able to swim like a Newfoundland.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts