Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 91 EB with 5.0, E40D, manual T-case.I have 78 F150 D44 and 9 inch I want to put in it. I also have an 89 Bronco with 4 inch lift for parts I got before the 78 axles. I'm thinking about trying to use the drop brackets for the radius arms off the 89 on the stock arms from the 78 with 4inch lift springs from the 78 on the stock 91 buckets. Pick me appart guys. I know I should wait for the money for better stuff but the baby's due in may and I'll never get it done if I don't do it soon. Think this will work? I rarely get to the trails so I don't think the arms sitting low will hurt too bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I'm done with school and have more time and money I hope to get out more. BUT, who doesn't want a solid front axle?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I don't. :shrug

I think my TTB rides fine, aligns fine, and offroads not too bad for what it is. I'd keep it and put a 6" lift on it if I could.

But I know that a blown 393 will tear apart a D44/TTB every time I look at the 4wd shifter, so a d60 is going to be the only fix for that. They don't make d60 TTBs, or any upgrade for the d44 TTB that'll solve that problem either.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
You may be able to use the drop brackets but youll have to figure out how to get the bushings to work the 78/79 radius arms have a larger diameter bushing end. sell the lift off that 89 get some money for it. then start gathering parts little by little.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
When I'm done with school and have more time and money I hope to get out more. BUT, who doesn't want a solid front axle?
So you want it cause every one else wants it. Ok.

Do you need it?

Do you even know what your truck is capable of as it sits? Have you reached the limitations of a properly lifted and upgraded TTB while busy not getting to the trails? Are you even capable of performing the swap mechanically?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on now Joe, I don't NEED a gas guzzlin Bronco at all ,I just like it and I want to lift it. I got the axles at a good price( 50 bucks after parting out the rest of the truck). If I'm gonna have to regear anyway to run the 35 I got for next to nothin(50 bucks after selling off parts of 89 bronco). I'd rather put that money in the solid axle. I love my Broncho just like everyone else on here and want it to be the best toy it can be.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Come on now Joe, I don't NEED a gas guzzlin Bronco at all ,I just like it and I want to lift it. I got the axles at a good price( 50 bucks after parting out the rest of the truck). If I'm gonna have to regear anyway to run the 35 I got for next to nothin(50 bucks after selling off parts of 89 bronco). I'd rather put that money in the solid axle. I love my Broncho just like everyone else on here and want it to be the best toy it can be.
What do you stand to get out of it? :popc1:

You won't be doing much wheelin', maybe later as you say.

You do have some parts, but basically it sounds like you want to shove something under there to be able to tell people you did an SAS. But really, what does that mean? I mean, if folks saw your work, and those folks know a fair amount about a nicely done swap, what might be said?

Keep your TTB and keep it in good shape, keep your family safe, spend the money on your family. Later on, if you still have an interest in the bronco, and can afford to do it right, then by all means do it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I understand that you want to do it just cause you want to do it. You didn't answer my other questions. And if you want it to be "the best toy it can be" then why the heck would you even consider doing it "super cheap"? Thats pretty much a contradiction in terms.

Re-gearing will cost pretty much the same, so that don't matter. And if you read up on it here you will see that the 9" rear ain't much stronger then the 8.8, so why take the time? Especially since this is only an occasional wheeler on (I assume) mostly trails?

I don't understand your motivation I guess. It seems to me that you would get everything you need out of a top-notch TTB lift. And that you would be more then happy with it. I have been with mine. After wheeling it stock and with 4" lift for 10 years I moved up to more technical stuff with a local club and got majorly frustrated with the limits of my truck. That prompted my decision to SAS. So I could continue to run these trails instead of riding along.

If I hadn't broken my leg and back 4 years ago I would have had it done 3.5 years ago :toothless

I think if you sold off the rest of the stuff you got you would be able to afford a pretty good TTB. Then when/if you ever get the time to actually wheel it :goodfinge you can beat the hell out of it, learn its limits, and then graduate up to really needing the SAS.

You got a good deal on the axles yeah, but it ain't cheap to make a reliable, safe, and capable rig. Cheap and SAS shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Sorry man, but I've got to agree with the other guys. At the point where you're at right now I could easily see you getting started with a SAS and never finishing it, or even worse, doing it poorly. You'd be way better off with a TTB lift. I've wheeled my TTB pretty dang hard and I can tell you that it'll take more punishment than most people are comfortable dishing out. I've wheeled my TTB with SAS'ed rigs that wouldn't follow me. Putting a SAS on your rig doesn't automatically make it more capable off road. I've never had weirdly worn tires. I've never had alignment problems. I've never had a (suspension related) death wobble. In fact, I've been remarkably free of all the evils the TTB is supposed to come with. Hell, I never broke the thing at all until I dropped a built motor into it, and after that I was breaking stuff pretty regularly. So you need to think real hard about this project, because it doesn't sound like a SAS is really in your best interest. If the money is a huge issue you can always piece one together with used lift parts being sold on here every day. For instance, my TTB is coming off this week...shoot me a PM if you're interested in lift parts. :toothless

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I have to agree with Dave. The TTB can take a beating and is all that most will need. I have broken many parts in mine but that was mostly with a welded carrier. You might be better served useing the ttb lift you have and keeping the front open or L/S. And save some money for tires by selling the Dana44 solid axle. Just a thought but Good luck either route you choose.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Why does everyone hate the TTB so much? I think there was only on sas'ed truck at Pismo this weekend and all of the other Broncos there rocked the TTB. After wheel spinning this weekend it really make me reconsider my SAS work. For one I'm going to save up for some good shocks!

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Why does everyone hate the TTB so much? I think there was only on sas'ed truck at Pismo this weekend and all of the other Broncos there rocked the TTB. After wheel spinning this weekend it really make me reconsider my SAS work. For one I'm going to save up for some good shocks!
Ive never like TTB because of the Alignment issues. I have had the Death Wobble and all the problems that have come with the ttb. I like being able to align my truck with a tape measure. Daves right putting a Solid axle under your truck and lifting it to the moon doesnt make you more capable offroad. Throw a locker in there and see how much more capable you are.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've gotta jump on the bandwagon here and say that unless you're bronco is primarily used for mild-to-heavy off-road, you don't need a SAS.

I really didn't NEED one when I did mine, but every bushing, ball-joint and TRE in my TTB was shot and I plan on going to 40+ tires and 1-tons, so I went ahead and did a D44 swap for the time being.

My truck was down for 6 months, mainly because I changed my plan from coil to leaf in the middle of it all, but trust me, you don't just "throw" a SAS under a truck cheaply, even if you got the axles dirt cheap, there's more to it than that. I wheeled my TTB pretty hard, at times harder than I wheel it now because I had to learn about cause/effect of the skinny pedal. I broke ONE lockout hub, and it was my fault for putting alot of grease in the cap :brownbag (rookie experiment).

So reconsider your desire for a quick and cheap solid axle. From what it sounds like, you'd be better off waiting to find your limits with what you got first. And post pics while doing it :thumbup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for talkin since into me guys. The keep your family safe from Shadofax snapped me out of it. I'm one of the most impatient people I know.I want it all and right now. The closest OHV park to me is Uwaharrie National forest. It's around 2 hours away and they have some tough trails so I want the solid axles and longer arms. BUT I can't arrord to do it right so I think for now maybe I'll put the 4 inch ttb lift with shackle flip on. Sell the 35's or trade for 33's and maybe sell a Rifle for the locker. I will surely still have fun. I'm in school to be a Helicopter pilot so hopefully in 2 years I'll have the money flow to do it right. I grew up wheelin power lines , sewer lines ,creeks ,farms. All the stuff that gives 4 wheelers a bad name so I'm trying to stay out of trouble these days and do it right. Thanks again

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Thanks for talkin since into me guys. The keep your family safe from Shadofax snapped me out of it. I'm one of the most impatient people I know.I want it all and right now. The closest OHV park to me is Uwaharrie National forest. It's around 2 hours away and they have some tough trails so I want the solid axles and longer arms. BUT I can't arrord to do it right so I think for now maybe I'll put the 4 inch ttb lift with shackle flip on. Sell the 35's or trade for 33's and maybe sell a Rifle for the locker. I will surely still have fun. I'm in school to be a Helicopter pilot so hopefully in 2 years I'll have the money flow to do it right. I grew up wheelin power lines , sewer lines ,creeks ,farms. All the stuff that gives 4 wheelers a bad name so I'm trying to stay out of trouble these days and do it right. Thanks again
glad you valued our opinion, and were willing to listen :thumbup Kudos to you.:beer

You don't know the folks we get coming on here asking for responses, but really already pre-determined in their actions. So when the opinion comes back countering what they want to do, they start arguing, and inevitably just go off and do whatever they were planning in the first place. Patience will pay off for you in the end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts