Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. The only reason I would let the Bronco go, is because it would be the easiest to replace, Also, since my dad passed, I don’t have his house to plow, and since I have a full-time State job now, the only thing I plow is my driveway. Plus, is insurance, registration and maintenance really worth it, or would I be better off putting a plow on my Rhino or paying someone to do my driveway?
I don’t know, The other thing is, do I really want to get involved in building another shop at 60 years old? A lot to think about......

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks everyone. The only reason I would let the Bronco go, is because it would be the easiest to replace, Also, since My dad passed, I don’t have his house to plow, and I have a full-time State job now, the only thing a plow is my driveway.His insurance registration and maintenance really worth it, or would I be better off putting a plow on my rhino or paying someone to do my driveway? I don’t know, The other thing is, do I really want to get involved in building another shop at 60 years old? A lot to think about......
If you have the room on the property for another shop - look into a metal building. The cost has come WAY down. A buddy of mine was going to expand his shop last year. Had a contractor friend come out and he told him to look at metal buildings. He did a 30x60 with 14 ft roof (he's got a 2 post lift he uses a lot) for @ $20K plus concrete. He insulated the thing himself after the fact. He loves it. That's my plan in a year or two.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,594 Posts
DON’T DO IT!!!!! You put a lot of love into that truck Joe!

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here's where I am at; I want to add on to the end of my garage (where my pick up is). I want to do this at angle, rather than continue straight with the garage, that way, I could make the roof an "A" at the end so I could have enough height for a lift.

This places me close to my road, which the house in the back has a right of way to as it has zero land. This is why I would need a variance.

I have plenty of room in the back where I could put up a steel building, no problem.

The issue is, I would need to bring power down there and add another driveway so I am not driving on dirt. It would be cheaper and easier to just add on to what I have, IMO.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Take out the back of the garage and extend it 1-2 car lengths deeper and raise it up for lift clearance

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,925 Posts
Say it ain't so Joe!

Here's where I am at; I want to add on to the end of my garage (where my pick up is). I want to do this at angle, rather than continue straight with the garage, that way, I could make the roof an "A" at the end so I could have enough height for a lift.

This places me close to my road, which the house in the back has a right of way to as it has zero land. This is why I would need a variance.
I saw one done somewhat like that on Garage Journal. It was a large "L", with a taller section in the center, with a door at a 45 from the 2 legs. The guy used a 2 car door across the angled side, which would allow him to fit 3 cars inside, sort of fanned out from the door, with his lift in the middle. I think he only used 2 of those bays for cars. I liked it enough that I bookmarked it in the hopes of building one similar on the retirement property.

Post 1583 of this thread:

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,275 Posts
Don't sell it! How long did it take to get the Bronco this far? With a new business and all the joy involved in that, you'll never replace it. You won't have time. Find somewhere, park it and forget about it for a while. It's only worth what someone that don't want to give you anything for it is willing to pay. Find another way to cough up some dough. At 60yrs starting anything fresh ain't like it used to be!
I also like the deepen and raise idea! The building is half built right now! That's gotta knock some bucks off the whole deal. Good luck Joe!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Looks like the easiest and cheapest way for your current setup is to extend (like others have noted) the current shop. What about just extending the middle of the shop towards the rear, knocking out the wall and building it high enough for a lift. That way you could still park a car in front of the lift while it was in use.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I agree that adding on to the back would make more sense but I don’t want to loose my back yard. It would pretty much block off the view from the deck.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
From the pic angle it would only block off the neighbors easement and part of the trees and fence, with grandkids of my own I can appreciate not wanting to loose yard..... but it would be less to mow. ;)
Keep us posted but I still say keep it!

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
1,999 Posts

I have plenty of room in the back where I could put up a steel building, no problem.

The issue is, I would need to bring power down there and add another driveway so I am not driving on dirt. It would be cheaper and easier to just add on to what I have, IMO.
So what's in the fridge, Joe?

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You can't see the fridge (it's full of protein canisters) that's a freezer, it's full of venison.

And seriously @Doosenberry ? that's your whole take on this thread????

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
1,999 Posts
You can't see the fridge (it's full of protein canisters) that's a freezer, it's full of venison.

And seriously @Doosenberry ? that's your whole take on this thread????
No, but I have nothing of value to add. My first thought was your three car garage is already as big as my tiny house.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
garagejournal has a lot of good garage ideas. If you do it yourself steel from the steel yard is a bargain. Add in some corrugated sheeting and insulation. only downside it's hard to hang things on the walls unless you use good gauge framing and weld or bolt on some braces to mount things to.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Picture if you will another time and dimension.... oh sorry tv flashback......
picture taking off the back wall and back half of the roof, stay with me... continue the front slope upwards to a good point past or at the back edge of the existing garage back wall... That would put you about 1-1/2 stories tall.. then either slope down for the extension or flat top it just sloped forward enough to run down.. he’ll you could even go 2 stories in the back section and make a hobby room for the other half or man loft on the side there isn’t a lift. Sorry you got my brain working, once I see something like this it just starts cranking out ideas.

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
96 Posts
I realize i haven't been around to know the back stories of many folks here but for what my whopping 2 cents are worth I also vote keep. Maybe im partial to your era of bronco lol. I think it's tough to replace a ride quite like that one. Being from the snowy north I've never seen a rust free lifted bronco with beautiful paint that also doubles as a plow truck.

If you decide to sell have you considered waiting until the whole covid thing winds down? I may be totally wrong considering the condition of the truck...but you may be able to get more when the economy bounces back some.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Thats a rough loss.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
@MojoJojo , why do I picture you in black and white, smoking a cigarette, with a black/white spinning cone shaped object?
Seriously though, I live on a peninsula and with the prevailing wind being Southwest, which is the back of my garage, anything resembling a Saltbox type structure would be destroyed in the event of a hurricane.
@Joecruiser , I know I don't have to explain hurricanes to you, snow, well, let's just say; white lumpy rain. :p

@92bronco_dude , I am only considering selling if, and only "IF" the town will approve me adding on to my existing garage. Don't get me wrong, I have a kick-ass shop, but thing in my life have changed, and if I can find an means to the end , I will let it go. granted, my shop is 600V three phase, so I will not be able to keep a lot of my equipment like my lathe, Bridgeport, etc. but, if it will save me money in the long run........

@GetBent4x4 , steel is only an option if I decide to build out back.

@Doosenberry , you are right, as usual, you have nothing to add. :p But seriously, it is also bigger than my house . My wife always asked me why the garage is bigger than our home, and then she complains that there id not enough room in the garage for her gardening stuff, and oh yeah, her car.

Reactions: Joecruiser
21 - 40 of 49 Posts