Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. It’s a 1995 Bronc Eddie Bauer with the 5.8 and dreaded E4OD. I destroyed the transmission on a wheeling trip and recently (less than 500 miles) had the transmission rebuilt. New torque converter as well and it’s going into limp mode. Shifts off pressure instead of elec solenoid. Ran a self diagnosis and came up with a TCS code, and code 452 for the VSS. Replaced the VSS.
The VSS from the parts store was plastic and only resembled the previous sensor from the connector plug in and that’s it. Old sensor was metal and smooth, new one is plastic and has ridges. Had some worries there and since replacing, it’s now accelerating very oddly. Pulses while using cruise control. Going uphill it accelerates fine because of it trying to reach the set speed but flat or downhill and you can tell it’s shakily trying to keep its speed. I imagine there are more experienced members here that could maybe throw some input about my situation. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying it's shift points are out of whack?
Not really. It shifts early sometimes which I’ll address later on unless the issues are connected but it’ll accelerate and then slow down and repeats the entire drive. If that makes sense. Like as if I am bumping the gas pedal repeatedly. It’s strange. Only happened after changing the VSS above the rear diff.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Have you tested your throttle position sensor? This is a key sensor in the way the transmission acts/ shifts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tested your throttle position sensor? This is a key sensor in the way the transmission acts/ shifts.
No sir not yet. Kind of unsure on the process. Bought my dads bronco without knowing my mechanic skills would need to improve lol.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Read this:

There's another TPS thread too, which I'd just as good. I'll see if I can find it.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
Here's the other one

If you've got a digital volt meter, testing is pretty easy. If not, go to harbor freight and pick one up for about $5. Sometimes they give them away for free with a coupon.

Steve83 has a chart on the values :

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the other one

If you've got a digital volt meter, testing is pretty easy. If not, go to harbor freight and pick one up for about $5. Sometimes they give them away for free with a coupon.

Steve83 has a chart on the values :
(I'll edit the chart to this post, let me find it)
Awesome! I’ll definitely give it a read and post back with what I find. I’ve got a pretty good voltage meter. I appreciate it.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
It's a good chance the issues are connected. I edited my post above to show the values of what readings yot should be getting from the TPS.

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
so you have 500 miles on a rebuilt tranny and it's giving you problems? Is the place that did the install reputable? Have you tried taking it back to them for diagnosis?

For what it worth, I beat the piss out of my factory E4OD and never had an issue with it..they're good trannys when properly maintained..now I did grenade one after overheating it on a wheeling trip but that was self-inflicted and not the transmissions fault..

That aside, couldn't hurt to pull the EEC and check whether there's any corrosion or leaking and maybe look at the MLPS as well. Good luck.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,958 Posts
so you have 500 miles on a rebuilt tranny and it's giving you problems? Is the place that did the install reputable? Have you tried taking it back to them for diagnosis?

For what it worth, I beat the piss out of my factory E4OD and never had an issue with it..they're good trannys when properly maintained..now I did grenade one after overheating it on a wheeling trip but that was self-inflicted and not the transmissions fault..

That aside, couldn't hurt to pull the EEC and check whether there's any corrosion or leaking and maybe look at the MLPS as well. Good luck.
Agreed. These E4ODs are good transmissions. My last 95 I beat the living tar out of it too. And it had close to 250k when I parted thr truck out.

Transmission shops can't be trusted. This may of been the issue to begin with when you had the rebuild.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. These E4ODs are good transmissions. My last 95 I beat the living tar out of it too. And it had close to 250k when I parted thr truck out.

Transmission shops can't be trusted. This may of been the issue to begin with when you had the rebuild.
The place that did the rebuild was reputable. Its had this limp mode issue for a while now. Overdrive light on shifter flashes, hard shifts, no cruise control. It had 240k on the original before it overheated as well. I took it back to the shop but to no avail. It shifts perfect up until it goes into “limp mode”. I read a write up about this issue and found a few variables like MLPS, VSS, faulty ground and even variable voltage across the gears. P, R, N, D etc. The VSS was the first thing to look into because I got a code for it when I did the EEC key on engine off test. That’s when this weird issue with my cruise started up was after changing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The place that did the rebuild was reputable. Its had this limp mode issue for a while now. Overdrive light on shifter flashes, hard shifts, no cruise control. It had 240k on the original before it overheated as well. I took it back to the shop but to no avail. It shifts perfect up until it goes into “limp mode”. I read a write up about this issue and found a few variables like MLPS, VSS, faulty ground and even variable voltage across the gears. P, R, N, D etc. The VSS was the first thing to look into because I got a code for it when I did the EEC key on engine off test. That’s when this weird issue with my cruise started up was after changing it.
And when I say to no avail, I mean the transmission shifts perfect and he even added an external cooler, new harness that was corroded, exposed wires, and plugs that were broken and what not. He did a great job but this has been an underlying issue as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
Sounds like the tranny guy did right by you. That's good to hear.. Definitely dig into the TPS and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How is the wiring from the VSS? Signal and return signal run form the VSS along the frame to the 4WABS to the PSOM (signal is converted and different circuit sends signal to EEC, overhead console, and cruise control) and then out to the EEC. I had plenty of wiring issues with this as well as a fried EEC (and TPS).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How is the wiring from the VSS? Signal and return signal run form the VSS along the frame to the 4WABS to the PSOM (signal is converted and different circuit sends signal to EEC, overhead console, and cruise control) and then out to the EEC. I had plenty of wiring issues with this as well as a fried EEC (and TPS).

Wiring looks okay. I’ll take a closer look at the connector to the VSS. Seemed pretty simple to rewire it if need be. I’ll be taking a look at the TPS later this evening. I really didn’t expect this much feedback, as a couple other forums I’m on got 0 hits for any answers over the past few weeks for this. Good group and I appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Check for continuity along all those points, especially if you are dealing with corrosion. A quick check at the 4WABS connector you could see if you've got a closed loop up to that point with your volt metre pretty sure it is #21 and #22.

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Yo 93FSB,
WELCOME!
For;
Harsh / Delayed Transmission Shifts
Rough Shifting Sending Transmission Into Limp Mode
Code 452 Stored in Memory, No CEL Present
Over Drive Light Flashing on Shifter
Speedometer completely dead.
Odometer Screen Is Blank.
Odometer or Speedometer Intermittently Working.

EXCELLENT PSOM Repair source is DNA SPEEDOMETER,
DNA has Excellent service!
They offer a, "Get a free repair quote" and and FedEx $10.00 flat rate ground shipping.
Plus Shipping Insurance

"...The instrument cluster requires special handling to avoid damaging internal components. The cluster MUST be kept FACE UP or in the in-vehicle position. Leaving the cluster face down may result in a loss of dampening fluid used in the gauges. The lost fluid could stain the cluster face or result in excessive pointer waver..."; in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford

If so, consider 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM Operation by Turboghost in my Blog @ 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM Operation

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; SEE C, E4OD Harsh Shifts & D, Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations: 1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector; 3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy; 4 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld
Source: by Ford via https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://content.chiltonsonline.com/TSB/displayTSBHandler.ashx?assetID=36956&key=6kAUBD5BruOJf%2F3tgozUqjXM3RdbjcQqW4sVWiE%2Fp2IojfpfKqM07dr61%2BQAWHtTZr4ceHaQGlj8NylACcNZ4qedMqy4JdYyAXN5akgfkpHUz4aCpJyaaA%3D%3D&ved=2ahUKEwjP-8qtp9zhAhWMm1kKHd58AQw4ChAWMAh6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw0eO-anoid6CqhUGD--88e0

Someone here else a few years ago had the "14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel"
  1. We had a similar short for our cigar light/OBD II Test connector vehicle power source when their harness chaffed on ashtray frame, but it wasn't related to 452.

As Chris Czaja just posted;
Mikey350 wrote, "If changing the VSS doesn't fix it, here's the simplified schematic of the VSS signal from the VSS to the PCM. I had a very intermittent code 452, hard shift problem. By very intermittent, I mean my problem occurred once or twice a year! My speedo and odometer worked fine, I never checked the speed control while in the "hard shift" mode. I tore apart the wiring harnesses in the area of the splices and checked the grounds with no results. I metered from the VSS to the PCM, and took apart the connectors to see if I had any poor connections ("green" pins). If you problem recurs, I would suggest
gest that you take apart the connectors and check all of them.
I finally got pissed and replaced the PSOM and installed the jumper in the schematic below on the dame day.
The problem has not recurred for two years, so I'll consider it a fix."

Because the VSS is tied into several systems
on the vehicle, a VSS failure is relatively easy
to identify. No signal from the VSS to the
computer should set a code. Obvious signs
that the VSS isn’t producing a signal include
the digital speedometer/odometer not
working, the cruise control can’t be set, and
transmission shifting is rough and erratic.
Other possible problems from a failed
VSS include rough idling and an increase
in fuel consumption.
A more difficult problem to identify is a VSS
that works, but sends out the wrong signal for
a given vehicle speed. In some cases, a wrong
reading from the VSS may still cause a code
to be set. For example, if the VSS signal
tells the computer the vehicle is traveling
60 miles an hour, but the throttle position
sensor and MAP sensor tell the computer
that the engine is idling, the computer
will be confused. And a confused computer
should set any of the following codes:
Ford 27, 29, 452

Sorry for layout, my tablet sceen jumps around while typing, etc.

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Yo,
I completely overwrote this part;
ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 non-padded posts required to participate, due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
... Includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

¤ See our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

1 - 19 of 19 Posts