Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Bronco XLT 5.0 auto trans with 150,000 miles. In the morning, outside temp doesn't seem to matter, when I start my truck it starts and after about 5 seconds of running the engine races to about 1800 rpm and the check engine light flashes 4-5 times then the motor stalls almost all the way out but doesn't die then settles at 1000 rpms. Once it comes down to 7-800 rpms I leave the house and the truck runs like crap until I hammer the throttle under load a couple of times, it clears out and runs fine for the rest of the day. It doesn't do it every day and I am at a loss. I have replaced the fuel tank and filter in the last year but it was doing it before that. I have a good code reader for OBD-1 (Matco Determinator) and it doesn't show any codes probably because OBD1 doesn't always store codes like OBD2 does. So I ask you all........WTF is goin on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
the check engine light flashes, but you get no codes... thats not right.

start with the basics, tune up, how long ago?
list everything youve done in the last year, as much as you can remember.

how does the exhaust sound? got a whistle, when you romp on it?
most idle issues are due to a crusty IAC, look that one up in the google bar above the threads in the tech forum, how to clean. or replace.
also make sure your not suffering a vacuum leak,

id suggest running it by a=zone and see if they can pull the codes for ya, and get a copy of what they get, then post up.

bout all I got, gonna need some diagnosing out of ya before we can narrow it down, good luck!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'd clean the IAC like Clifton_1 said. After 150K, it is probably pretty gooped up. Could be a $10 fix for a can of throttle body cleaner and a couple of minutes of work (two bolts, one connector, and a gasket).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.