Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so 82 bronco transfer case is a New Process Transfer Case NP 208 or 203 unfortunately not an NP205.

I am reading that I should be putting Mercon 5 atf fluid in it.....now I may be a little twisted but I thought for damn sure a T case would be using 80-90 weight. I am damn near positive that's what I put in the NP 205 on my chevy and I'm pretty sure the only difference between them is bolt spacing for connection to the tranny. It should eat itself up with something that well watery right?

Am I reading right or am I just twisted up?

Yes I used the search function I am just making sure my eyes are not deceiving me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You're right. You need 80-90wt.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
If it's chain drive aluminum case--use atf, IE the 208.

Gear driven, iron case--203/205, gear oil.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the np 208 is a one pease case and is aluminum and takes the trans fluid (dextron)the np 203 is a 2 pease case and takes gear lub in it ther should be a round plate on the t-case that should tell you what it is

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i have an 85 bronco with a 208(use to have one) when i got it it had atf in it. haynes told me to refill it with atf. Always ran great. Aluminum housing.

np203 would be a cast iron pig and take regular gear oil.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes use ATF in the chain-drives, except old 203s. The BW cases take ATF too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
:scratchhe How do you figure they build a case in 1 piece??? How do the parts get inside? How do you service it? Mine is made in at least 3 pieces: the front case, the rear case, & the tailhousing.
Me thinks he's talking about the range box and the chain drive - the range box can be used just by itself, that's how they make doublers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow well then Mercon 5 it is. Crazy as it is...I wish I had an Ol Iron Pig T case lol. Bullet Proof is one of my favorite phrases

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
205 is pretty bulletproof. np203 is not. np208 and the bw1356 are still great cases, just not quite as strong as the 205

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Ok. Since nobody has mentioned the magnisum cases, what tc where made of magnisium? Or am I wrong, but I know I have read of tc made of aluminum AND magnisum (not in the same transfercases mind you).

So:
Chain driven case: ATF fluid (what grade specifically? Like for ex. a B&W 1356)

Gear driven case: Regular gear oil

Seems to me this thread is getting a little confusing already or it is just me?

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Ok so 82 bronco transfer case is a New Process Transfer Case NP 208 or 203 unfortunately not an NP205.

I am reading that I should be putting Mercon 5 atf fluid in it.....now I may be a little twisted but I thought for damn sure a T case would be using 80-90 weight. I am damn near positive that's what I put in the NP 205 on my chevy and I'm pretty sure the only difference between them is bolt spacing for connection to the tranny. It should eat itself up with something that well watery right?

Am I reading right or am I just twisted up?

Yes I used the search function I am just making sure my eyes are not deceiving me.
Mercon 5 is a synthetic trans fluid used in newer vehicles only. Tells you right on the trans dipstick. In transmissions my techs said it was not compatible with regular mercon fluid. It will also attack the seals in the transmission. I'm not positive about your transfer case but check with a tranny shop to be positive! I was going to replace my trans fluid with Merc 5 & was advised by my shop foreman it was better to leave it alone because of the front pump seal etc. IIRC. Anyhow it is for new vehicles 2005 & up (I think) not for 80's or 90's vehicles. Be careful...-Kevin-

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I use the Dexron/Mercon fluid in my BW 1356. I think the BWs are the ones with magnesium cases. I repeat, THINK

I remember reading something about it in Flourman's thread where he was cutting one up to make a doubler with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts