Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thick round clunking thing around fan stem???

Not around fan stem (can't edit the title)

Not sure even how to describe this problem so I didn't know how to even search for it.
Yesterday I started her up and had an awful loud clunking/rattle sound (my boy jumped out of the truck thinking it was goingto blow up, lol).

I will get a picture of it today, but it looks like a thick round hunk of metal.. see pic
I guess I could describe it better if i was a mechanic. I will try to get more details and pics soon.

any ideas? Could it be the harmonic balancer?

OK, Here is the pic. Please excuse my earlier post that is is around the fan stem, it is not.. it was dark the first time I looked at it

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
it should go like this: fan, fan clutch, pully, water pump, engine.

fan clutch is aluminum, pully is painted black, water pump is cast somethign or other.

between which two components is the extra thing?
is the extra part loose?
how big is it?
what color?
is anythign leaking from anywhere?
is anythign unusually clean?
is the fan wobbly if you try real hard to shake it?

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
That's not the water pump or fan. That's your crankshaft pulley and yes that is your harmonic balancer. Don't run the engine any more until you get that replaced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^+1 harmonic balancers are a two peice system with a thin piece of rubber sepertaing them the rubber over tim wears out and leads to that. you should not drive or run until fixed. your motor is balanced just so but with the HB in two.. it is not

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
^+2. Deff your Harmonic Balancer. Not a bad job if you have a Haynes. I'm sure you can find somewhere to rent a puller if you don't have one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are the greatest. I will drag out the haynes manual this weekend and get a puller!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts