Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 96 which is my DD, i got a mechete through a tire last night cause some drunk guy. i need to repalce it but the other side tire is horrible and its a hard to find it to match it also. i can either go buy 2 new BFG A/Ts for like 190 each from tire store or i can buy 4 Thornbirds 31x12.5x15 for 200 with bout 80% tread. this truck almost never sees mud and its usually light if at all. howeve it does see alot of trails and sand. the only time i used these tires was on my 88 and they had less than 10% tread and were basicly slicks but they were great cause then the lugs would actually bite however on wet roads i can do doughnuts for days.

basicly i jsut wanna know if its worth 200$ for 4 80% tires for street and trail use. craigslsit is almost empty of any 31 or 33 tires surprisingly

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, i was going to help a friend who was stuck in some nasty sand but by the time i got there someone else was pullin him out. so we left but when we got on the road, some niebor came out with a mechete and a revolver yelling at us but blocking my way. he jsut kept yelling at me "Run me over! I dare you!" then stabbed my tire. then asked me what we were doing and i jsut said i was trying to help a firend who was stuck and then told me to get the hell outta there so i went a few sterrts down and changed my tire. not my most fun thanksgiving night but w/e. my other friend behind me said he managed to talk him down some til 3 other of my friends came at him with anythnig they can find till he showed him his gun and then they all got outta there

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
wheeling on someones private land?????????? shame on you guys.....

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wasnt anybodys land. its jsut a piece of land that nobody owns that it i htink some kind of preserve. there isnt evne mud, its all jsut the worst sand you can imagine. i dont wheel there and idk what my friend was even doing there.

regardless i jsut wanna know if these are worth anything before i buy them. my spare is dryrotted really bad so im not trying to drive far on it

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,881 Posts
no they are called turds for a reason. they suck offroad, suck on road. if it rains at all its like driving on ice.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
just get some 35s and do some fender trimming :goodfinge

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
They do suck on pavement but... they are believe it or not, good for sand. Due to the fact they are low lug void instead of cutting through the sand the ride on top. The shitty outside lugs (which suck for mud, I don't care what anyone says) actually do well for pushing you through sandy areas. This is because your truck stays afloat on top of the sand, the side lugs help you progress forward.

If you get the radials the do hum on the road, the don't wear horribly (but still wear like a mud terrain even though they are more like an A/T) and do good in sandy spots. I'd say go for it, and you are about the only person I think I've ever recommended them to.

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tried calling him but it always goes striahgt to voicmail so i guess im still looking for tires... and yes i wouldnt recomment them to anybody but i cant find any good tires cheap and ive always wanted some 12.5 to replace these A/T 10.5s. i can fit up to a 35 easy but dont want to regear so a 33 is my max

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
This is my Experience with ThornBirds.

Pros
1. They are kinda round, so they will roll.
2. Girls like them.

Cons
1. They ride like poop on the street.
2. They suck in the rain.
3. They suck in mud.
4. They suck on dirt.
5. They suck on sand.
6. They suck in the snow.

I would not buy them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They climb out of ruts really well. lol
I ran some for a couple months but I cut a tread pattern into them. Made a significant improvement overall but even at that, almost any at or mt are a better tire.

·
Registered
497 Posts
4 for 200 bucks at 80%! ugh yeah! i bought 4 38x13x16 bias tsl's for 200 bucks with like 25 to 30 percent tread to do my mock up on my one ton swap and actually ended up using them to this day, been about 6 or 7 months now with front and rear lockers driven semi daily and they're still good, bottom line.......DO IT.......or.........find another deal you can afford on better tires a little bigger, and trim away

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
like i always say if you wait a better deal will come along. i just never have money when that deal comes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For $200 I'd probably buy them if you're in a pinch without other options. I had a set on an old Toyota, they weren't as bad offroad as some people would have you believe...but they were terrible on the road, only slightly better than wore-out nearly bald street tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts