Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been thinking of upping the brakes..(currently f350 booster, tbird calipers...soon to be 4 wheel chebby k20 disks and calipers)

im gonna be running a 17 inch wheel... so i wanted to try to expand a little more...

keep your eye on this thread... im working on mounting up a chevy p30 14.25 in tall and 1.5 inches thick... its the only one this size in 8 on 6.5 .... ill be fabbing a caliper mount once i find the right caliper

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653161

dc

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found the rotors and calipers... i may try to get some tommorow... ive got a chevy outers set down at the shed i could build off of

14.55 inch tall rotor and a big single piston caliper are both found

dc

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
picked up the calipers and pads today... trying to get best price on rotors... im finding the rotors to be quite expensive... about $70/each ... thats napa's price... i called a friend and he said he can get the rotors for $50 each

pics in a little

dc

ok so basically now that ive re gone through the catalog... i picked the wrong calipers... you need calipers from an 8400 GVW... OR: i foudn out that the calipers can come fromt eh same vehicle as the rotors...

everything will now be coming from a 1988ish P30 Chevy step Van... calipers are nearly identical in setup to the standard 8lug GM parts, however wide enough to clear the 1.5 inch rotors...

ill get new parts tommorow... and get back to ya...
the pics i have now are worthless since its the wrong part

dc

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got a better rotor price today... $52/each... thats shop cost... expect to pay double that retail... this may not be for everyone...actually the only people able to do it are the ones who can fab the caliper bracket... hmmm... maybe a kit is in the future:shrug

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I'm watching, I don't have my T-bird stuff on yet, and would skip a step if you find something larger.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rotors will eb here on monday...ryan this is soley an 8 lug thing just so ya know...

either way rotors on monday... oh and the rotor is 14.25ish... depending on where the caliper needs to mount... there is a small possibility of fitting this in a 16 inch wheel... im thinking 17 though..

dc

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**update**

so i got the rotors today...#5980... 14.25 OD... 1.535" thick... let me just say they are MASSIVE!!!! holy chit i underestimated them... thickness per pad contact side is approximatley .5 inches(the outside finished face on the rotor) ... the 12.5 chebbies everyone uses are like .25 maybe .313....

anyways... there SO massive that im thinking they probably wont fit... :cry

ok so heres the new bling... 14.25 inch rotor next to the conventional chevy 12.5"

they're THICK!

this is a chevy D44/10 bolt knuckle and hub...mounting the rotor itself takes no turning of the hub... it fits perfect... the stud holes are exactly the same size as the OE's

Frontal shot on the chevy 8 lug outers... ill admit... the rotor makes them look puny

the 8 lug chevy outers are do-able... its a bit more intracate to make the caliper bracket then it will be on the 14bolt

14 bolt... dropped right on the hub... studs go right through

lots of space in here

heres a straight down shot... the mounting will eb easy for the caliper

wheel mounting... these are 16.5's :cry (actually they measure 16" OD... tire says 16.5:shrug)... note this is some factory wheel... the backspacing is in the range of 4.5"

another

like 1"...i dont think the 17's are gonna make a difference... unless someone shoved a 16.5 tire on a 16.:shrug

no go for a 1/2 ton caliper... too tight

heres an on the floor shot... not a ton of clearance...

another...overall

im thinking they wont clear on a 17"... i need two things still... a 17" wheel w/ 4" backspacing... and the caliper...

we shall see... but im not sure if a rotor this big will fit the 17's... btw... wilwood quoted me on a caliper for a 14" rim... $425 EACH... and another 200 per caliper to make them fit the 1.535 rotor

enjoy... im not giving up... more to come...

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I could re-drill them, lots of people re-drill the D60 to 5 on 5.5.
I'm already planning on 17's and I have a 2004 Lightning master cylinder going on this spring.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im confused... these would be a lot for stock tires... maybe not... theres plenty of 13" variety in the 1.535" thickness...

hey ryan... can you take a look at the link in my sig... i need your expertise

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,834 Posts
What measurements do you need off the 17"s? Ive only got 3" of backspacing, but it should be easy to adjust the #s for one more inch of B.S.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I suppose if you are planning 44's or so DC these calipers at all 4 corners might be nice? Otherwise why bother with all this?????? Don't go putting too much brake to your rig. if you drive in snowy stuff you'll regret not having a nicely balanced braking system. You seem bent on "bigger is better" which is fine if your going huge with tires and weight.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
:brownbag

Well I learned something new today...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suppose if you are planning 44's or so DC these calipers at all 4 corners might be nice? Otherwise why bother with all this?????? Don't go putting too much brake to your rig. if you drive in snowy stuff you'll regret not having a nicely balanced braking system. You seem bent on "bigger is better" which is fine if your going huge with tires and weight.
i understand that... the point behind this is the bigger rotors... not so much the caliper... the taller rotor will alow more brake contact and the thicker and taller will allow better cooling

granted it may be overkill yes... however i believe the right master cylinder will work perfect...

im looking for something around 13.9 inches... havent found it yet...

shado if this becomes a rediculous thing and winds up taking more time then required im gonna ditch the idea... currently running 35's and 15's im not pleased w/ the tbird/drums set up i have... granted it stops! but i think the brakes are being over worked... im wearing pads down pretty quick

the upgrade to 17's allowed me to clear a larger brake system... so i figured i would give it a shot... theres a lot of rotational mass in a 37/38" tire... and it takes a lot to stop it... efficiently... im not saying that the chebby 12.5 stuff doesnt work great... i just firgured i could improve on it since i have the machinery available

also no one has really done this much... theres a heard on pirate watching the identical thread like hawks... although the kit is not yet bolt up... it may open doors to the public for a better, longer lasting brake kit... this is overkill for the 44 chebby front by far... however i think its great for the 14bolt... and ive decided to be the guinea pig and do the work and research so others can benefit...

whether i follow through with building with these massive units or not, im gonna follow through with all the tech so others can:thumbup

dc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts