Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an F-350 i jsut got the axles out of a few days ago on its side, and almost grabbed the engine XM before it got scrapped. Wouldnt running one of these allow people to get away with a lot less lift? I would assume that there are legitimate reasons people dont use them that i am not thinking of, anyone care to share there thoughts and knowledge?

Using those would also allow use of the stock panhard bar on leafd D60s....

thanks,

sm

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
The engine crossmember is a PITA to remove, since it's held on by 8-10 rivets to the frame. You'd also have to remove the rivets from the Bronco x-mbr. Alot of work, but something I've considered, too. The 88 F-350 x-mbr is also notched for the oil filter. I had to "custom-notch" the x-mbr in my 84 when I swapped the 460. I still have the 88 frame, in case I get the torch re-filled and decide to cut out all those rivets onthe x-mbr. JSM84

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Have you ever taken a good look at how the stock cross member is attached? Magnumpi and I were looking at a custom cross member for his and we decided that pulling the stock cross member was just not worth the trouble, and in his case we were working on a bare frame. I'm not saying that it can't be done by any means, because several people have done it, but it is a massive undertaking. Having to pull the cross member out of the Bronco and the F350, then reinstalling the F350's cross member into the Bronco just sounds like an incredible amount of work for a very marginal gain. I'd say just cut the front lip off of the stock cross member, weld on a couple of reinforcement plates and call it a day. Look at this thread to see how I cut and reinforced magnumpi's cross member for his leaf SAS.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,689 Posts
Using those would also allow use of the stock panhard bar on leafd D60s....

Just drill a couple holes in yours, and the stock tracbar mount will bolt right on. There are very minimal differences in the x-members, its really not worth the ridiculous effort required to swap them. It has more to do with engine series (SB, BB, D) than it does chassis (150, 250, etc).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts