Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im thinking about getting rid of my Kia. Its been a very good car for me but my car ADD is getting to me again. A friend of mine just bought a Lincoln Mark VIII last weekend and it reminded me of how much I love the Mark series cars. The one I found below is at a car dealer where my cousin works. He said I can probably get this car for about $7300 plus tax and tags. What do you guys think?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=STO5_14VCAap5fYJ1vNGItW?tab=finance&paId=252986710&recnum=1&actLog=true&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_28_%7cD-_269_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-60634&aff=national

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I drive between 80-100 miles per day roundtrip to get to work. But I only drive once every 3 weeks since I live close to 2 other people and we carpool everyday. They really arent all that bad on gas if I keep my foot out of it. I had a 93 Mark 8 for a driver when I worked at a car dealer. I averaged about 17-20 mpg pretty regulary. Ive always loved these cars but not the air suspensions. The conversion kit is only about $375 so Im not worried.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

The Kia really aint a bad car. Its been ultra-reliable and still runs and looks as good as the day I bought it, but Im just growing bored with it.

·
0 Posts
What do you guys think?
I think being in that kia has allowed you to forget that gas is 3.50 cents a gallon right now in some areas and may get as high as 4.00 a gallon this summer.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think being in that kia has allowed you to forget that gas is 3.50 cents a gallon right now in some areas and may get as high as 4.00 a gallon this summer.
That KIA sux on gas. I average about 12-13 in the city and 24-30 highway depending on traffic. The Mark that my friend just picked up has a gas tank thats 2 gallons bigger than mine and he only used a half a tank by the time I would have used a whole tank.

I may be the only person to ever say this, but Im not really concerned about gas prices anyhow. Im single, live alone, and make a pretty good buck. I figure if I cant spend my money on a woman, I'll spend it on a car.

·
Registered
832 Posts
why are you bored with the kia? are you looking for something with more power?

·
Registered
40 Posts
So Im thinking about getting rid of my Kia. Its been a very good car for me but my car ADD is getting to me again. A friend of mine just bought a Lincoln Mark VIII last weekend and it reminded me of how much I love the Mark series cars. The one I found below is at a car dealer where my cousin works. He said I can probably get this car for about $7300 plus tax and tags. What do you guys think?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=STO5_14VCAap5fYJ1vNGItW?tab=finance&paId=252986710&recnum=1&actLog=true&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_28_%7cD-_269_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-60634&aff=national
As I recall that should have the InTec 32V 4.6. Basically the same motor that the Mach I and Marauder run. Sounds like a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the Kia.

Marauders with the same mileage are still getting 15-18K, but then the Mark VIII is 5-6 years older too.

I would check here to see if it is a good buy or not. From what I saw cruising the cars for sale section I only saw 2 for sale. A 93 for $1K and a 97 for $3k.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
$7300 seems kind of high to pay for a MKVIII... I've seen them in really nice condition, with average mileage for less than $5k in NJ...

The DOHC engine in the MKVIII was the engine used in the 96-up Cobras and as stated above, the Marauder, MACH 1's etc... This engine first debuted in the MKVIII, then was refined & modded to the performance needs of the Mustang line...

It will rip to 7,500 RPM's with no hesitation. I had a prior 96 Cobra and that thing loved to scream... after installing a set of 4.30's in that Cobra, that thing coudl smoke the tires through 3rd gear into 4th... Dropping it from 5th to 4th (or 3rd) would get you sideways on the highway... :)

The things to be concerned with on the DOHC's -

1) sticking IMRC plates
2) bad harmonic balancers (look for a wobble when the car is at idle, if the harmonic balancer shows ANY signs of a wobble, get it replaced ASAP - and also inquire about it to see HOW LONG it's been that way...)
3) early DOHC's had experienced oil pump failures (this mainly was an issue IF the vehicle was beat on)
4) listen for any valvetrain noises

They are easy engines to work on and with. Modifications or upgraded parts have come down in price, but are still more costly than anything for a 5.0. Most of the performance upgrades you can do to a Cobra, can be done to a MKVIII (exhaust, gears, engine stuff, ignition, etc).

The ONLY one thing that I did not like about the DOHC was the position of the thermostat - which was a total BITCH to change out... It's located in the lower rad hose... So, in order to change out the stat, you have to drain the rad & most of the fluid out of the vehicle... even when you do that and crack the stat housing open, be prepared to get doused w/ coolant... The most retarded stat design & location by far... When refilling, be sure to burp the air out via the crossover tube located at the top near the alternator (a 1/4" ratchet fits into the cap to open it).

Replacemnt engine cost from Ford just for a stock, plain, factory DOHC is $6k, so be sure that the vehicle you are looking at does have a healthy engine.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the Kia, but its low head room (due to the sunroof) has always bugged me. The fact that I have to have the drivers seat set so far back is taking its toll on my back. Also, it seems that everyone in my neighborhood seems to be getting Kias lately. The guy across the street from me bought an identical Optima to mine. The only way I can tell them apart at night is by which alarm chirps when I hit the key.

Well, its a no go on this car. I went to check it out last night and they sold it a few hours before I got there. Guess Im back out on my quest for a Taurus SHO or a Mark VIII. If anyone near Chicago spots a clean low mileage 97-98 Mark VIII or 96-99 Taurus SHO, pm me.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
hit up craigslist, autotrader, autoshopper & cars.com online - I'm sure you will find a nice MKVIII or SHO in one of those venues...

(also with the DOHC, you can bump the timing w/ Steeda's timing kit - very good upgrade part...) :)

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The IMRC plates were an issue until 96'. 97-98's the plates were replaced with ceramic--problem cured.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
I have been looking for a Toyota Camry, most likely a 2001 in my price range max of $8500 in Minnesota and Eastern ND. Not easy to find in private hands as the dealers want 3K more, and there are alot of salvage vehicles out there.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The second gen Mark VIII (97-98) is real hard to come by around these parts. Dont get me wrong, I like the 93-96's too, but all the problem areas were corrected by the time the second gen came out. I'd love to find an old ladys car, but all the best ones are in Florida....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts