Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says.

I'm working on my SAS. I couldnt find any of those nylock nuts locally, so I just decided to use lock washers/regular nuts instead. My plan was to put a dab of the "red" thread locker(high strength)on the ends of all the threads when I do the final install.

Is that a mistake?

Having one of the bolts back out on me doesnt sound too fun, so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'm not a fan of the red, because it's a PITA to get out of the threads. If a bolt has to be removed for some unforseen reason, it will need to be cleaned up and have fresh loctite installed again. It is a strong thread locker though and will work great for a temporary situation. Given the stage in your build, however, I would just order some prevailing torque lock nuts from McMaster Carr and have them at your door before the weekend.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Id use the red, if you buy suspension bolts from Ford, alot of them come with red loctite already on them.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, some differing opinions here...
I'll look up the prevailing torque lock nuts, and see whats up with them.

Thanks for all the help guys.:beer:beer

It sounds like it's not the end of the world, but there are better options.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Safe is always better than sorry.
That being said, I have lock washers on most of my suspension with no locktite.
I check all of the bolts at least once a year and have never had one start working loose.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I've never loc-tited any suspension bolts and I've never had any come loose. Grade 8 bolts, nuts and flat washers on each side, torqued to spec and you won't have any problems. The only bolts or nuts I've had loosen up are pinion nutc, full float axle shafts, and ring gear bolts. Those get loc-tite or a tack weld, but thats it. If you want to though it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or if you have room, double nut them

I know, sounds all wrong...anyway, I've had good luck with red locktite as an alternative to locknuts. It does make things tough to get apart, but most of those suspension bolts are large enough that they are tough to get apart anyway. If you have the room and are concerned about the nut backing off, just put a second nut on there and tourqe it down against the first. that has worked really well for me. not the pretiest solution, but effective.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I'm a big believer in lock washers. Flat washer, lock washer, nut and torque everything to spec. I've never had a suspension bolt come loose, or any other bolt I've run through the frame for that matter. If I don't have torque specs for a particular bolt, I use the SAE recommended torque for the bolt size and grade.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This really becomes more of a personal preference issue than anything, so long as there is something you are good to go. I personally went with nylock on everthing on my lift install. so your question is lock tite or no lock tite since you dont have nylock nuts, then the answer is yes locktite.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I learned that if you use good metal lock nuts (Bowman,Lawson) they are factory lubricated and only get torqued to 80% of spec. I used green loctite for studs with metal lock nuts on my radius arm bracket bolts that kept coming loose. That solved the problem, if it is something your going to be taking off blue loctite has a little bit of teflon in it and that helps free up the bolts not as agressive as green or red.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I think safety wire is a bit over the top. If you just don't want any bolts or nuts to loosen up doing that is way beyond anything thats close to being needed. Total waste of time and effort IMO when bolts loosening up in not really a common problem, and if it is a bolt known to back out a little dab of LocTite on it takes care of it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I come from a racing and aircraft background, I see absolutley no reason to take a chance of having something come loose weather it be at 65 on the freeway or 250 in the air. I am going to start doing my bronco next weekend.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yeah you may eleminate that chance, but how small of a chance is it really? So small its not even worth the effort of safety wire IMO.

What bolts are there that could loosen up and back all the way out without you knowing about it or without you noticing any noises, loseness, or different driving charactoristics while its happening and then being a big safety issue or something that could leave you stranded somewhere?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I use lock warshers with no problems, just torque them and go. If it worries you just check them from time to time. After awhile you'll get tired of checking them. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts