Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,441 Posts
The threads are for a bolt.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,441 Posts
That's a very good question. Mine just hangs out doing nothing.

If memory serves me correctly, it was originally used for factory battery hold downs. I'll see if I can google a picture of one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a very good question. Mine just hangs out doing nothing.

If memory serves me correctly, it was originally used for factory battery hold downs. I'll see if I can google a picture of one.
I saw one person who put an accessory fuse panel on it

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Well I'm not having any luck finding what I'm looking for. Basically there was a metal bracket that bolted to the inner fender. Then you had the actual hold down that would mount to that. The hold down was shaped at an angle, which allowed it to go straight across the battery even though the metal bracket wasn't right in the middle of the battery, as you can see looking at yours or mine in my pic.

Here's what LMC shows. The metal bracket is number 2, but they don't show it in the proper shape.

And here's a pic of the hold down. You can see the angle I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm not having any luck finding what I'm looking for. Basically there was a metal bracket that bolted to the inner fender. Then you had the actual hold down that would mount to that. The hold down was shaped at an angle, which allowed it to go straight across the battery even though the metal bracket wasn't right in the middle of the battery, as you can see looking at yours or mine in my pic.

Here's what LMC shows. The metal bracket is number 2, but they don't show it in the proper shape.

And here's a pic of the hold down. You can see the angle I'm talking about.

I get it now, that makes a lot more sense

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My 84 had a bracket on the core support I removed that was half of the battery tie down... you can see where it was. The rod bolted to it then the old tie down went on top of that bolt
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
So there was a use
I’m guessing ford decided that one side of the tie down needed to be attached to the body supports. Just a guess though. But you could find one of them $30,000 restoration jobs for sale with 100 photos and see if they got the bracket?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m guessing ford decided that one side of the tie down needed to be attached to the body supports. Just a guess though. But you could find one of them $30,000 restoration jobs for sale with 100 photos and see if they got the bracket?
Maybe...

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
179 Posts
Thats right -I've seen like a "Z" like flat support bar that goes from the battery hold down to the threaded hole -as an extra support to prevent the battery from sliding on the tray-a little extra security I suppose. Just another bolt to remove and bracket to be put out of the way-in order to get your battery out.-Was quickly eliminated probably due to owners losing it or just not putting it back on -to speed things up finding the hold down sufficient enough for battery safety.

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
179 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts