Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question pertains to a 1995 Ford F150 with a 5.0 302. I believe that this is very similar (if not exactly similar) to the 5.0L 302 in my 1991 Bronco.

There are two hoses attached to the throttle body. The lower hose broke off. When my father-in-law and I took the throttle body off we noticed that it was also cracked on its underside.

The truck is currently being run with the cracked throttle body but neither hose attached.
What problems/issues might this result in if continued to run like this?
So far, three days in to driving there have been no problems (knock on wood).

Thanks!

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Your going to need to be more specific about the two hoses. If it's the two intake houses that lead to your air box (which may not apply I can't remember if 95 302's had mas air) If one of those is "broken" off, the you run the risk of having debrey (sp?) going into your engine. If it's a vacuum line that's broke, then it you would have a vacuum leak. If he's that cursed water-through-the-throttle-boddy doohickey, you should have a coolant leak, and that would be noticable. So we need to know exactly what we are dealing with here.

The crack can be a problem for a vacuum leak, and possibly letting debrey (sp?) in, other then I don't think it would be a problem. Of course, the bulk of the bottom of a throttle body is the TPS, and if that is cracked, it should be replaced.

So, if you can be more spicific or get some pics, that would help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not being as specific as possible, let me try to offer some additional details.

The two hoses are the water hoses that are attached to the throttle body assembly and there was a leak but there is not one anymore because we clamped the hoses off.
We also replaced an old vacuum line hose.

We are still running an air filter as those hoses are not the ones in question.

Hopefully this helps a little...unfortunately no pictures.

Thanks again!

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
As best as I can explain it, (and Fireguy does a much better job of it) you are talking about the throttle-body-air-temprature-heating-up doohicky; and yes, that is the techinical term for it, look it up in the hanes manual, it's better known as the t-b-a-t-h-d. I believe it is used to heat your incoming air to allow the engine to heat up sooner. Not positive though. Either way, it will not hurt anything to plug them off. As long as their is no coolant leak you should be OH TAY! Again, Fireguy should chime in here.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
:lolup :shrug
The above said t-b-a-t-h-d system, is very complex :twak

Coolant to the throttle body serves 2 perpouses.
1) cool the throttle when the EGR is open
2) heat the throttle body quicker in the winter

The bad thing is that heat makes for less power. I removed my coolant hoses, and many others have as well. As long as the throttle body still ducts air from the filter into the intake you'll be fine.

Only problem you'll have is if that crak gets worse, vacuum leaks and if the throttle body flapper (tech word :D ) fall off the engine can rev up on its own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts