Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Looking to build some gains on my steed. I have a 95 Bronc with 5.8, E4OD. I have a Bassani Y-pipe (with cat, as I live in NY state and eventually they will flat out ban straight piping) on its way with their cat back exhaust coming next. I have an Edelbrock Performer in the garage, waiting to be installed. It scares me to death, as my previous Bronco was sent to pasture when trying to replace the intake. At least half of the bolts broke off in the process. I fear the same with this truck, but I have too much pride to have a shop do the work. LOL! Anyway, I'm also planning on adding the BBK dual 61 TB. I just came across a site where they used this combo. They didn't mention it in the build, but they also slid in an Airaid TB spacer. I looked into this part. It seems the bores are smaller than the 56mm bores in the stock TB. Still, every review claims that it does what it should. Anybody on here have a recommendation for or against this or any other spacer?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,537 Posts
Throttle body spacers were once all the rage along with cold air intakes and while you can make a argument for the CAI, the spacers are a waste of $$..your $$ is better spent on a good tune up, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttle body spacers were once all the rage along with cold air intakes and while you can make a argument for the CAI, the spacers are a waste of $$..your $$ is better spent on a good tune up, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor.
I remember those days. I suppose I should add that I've also already done the MSD cap and rotor, Ford Racing 9mm wires, and Champion copper plugs opened a bit higher than stock. Can't remember which gap I used, but I know I didn't go the full 460 route. Still running the stock intake hamster tunnels. Lol!

·
Super Moderator
30,909 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo shaukeki,
We're you referring to thisSixlitre Tune-Up&?
"Stab the gap at .055, I've even used .060. Then bump the timing out to 13.5 degrees from the stock 10 (after you've checked where it was to begin with)." @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/beginner-mods.514980/
That's the one. It runs like a horse as it is, but the next set of plugs or the other work I'm adding will likely lead to finishing that tune. Truth is, I've never done timing. It's one of the few things I've never done. May be time to do it.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,273 Posts
The Edelbrock intake will work way better then the spacer.
The Spacer on these trucks, with the extremely long runners in the intake, isn't going to do much, other then add even more volume to the intake (slightly). The amount it is adding, isn't going to offer much over the Truck style intake. The air flow also must make an immediate bend right after the throttle body, so I do not feel the claims of helping with air speed/flow/turbulence are as valid with these style of intakes (it may work lot better on other vehicles)

There is also the ever present issue that is the Stock E7 heads; Once you replace the 5.8 intake, it is the next biggest bottle neck in the system. The Edelbrock Intake and throttle body should be more then capable of supplying any air the rest of the stock engine needs.

The timing bump can help, but it seems that the 302's respond better to it then the 5.8s in my experience. Not that you wont notice, it just will not be as noticable on a 351 Truck.

I would suggest looking into a Punisher Valve body for your e4od. It will change the driving dynamic of the Bronco a bunch as it will actually shift and hold gears in a more performance oriented manner. I have them in all my e4od trucks (have 3 right now)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Long runner intake length = high low-end performance at the expense of top end hp.....and I think thats what you want from a truck, otherwise get an SUV
Adding an inch to the very lengthy intake runner these have is like giving John Holmes and extra inch of Dick....what a waste!:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
336 Posts
I added the throttle body spacer to my '89 5.0 a couple of years ago. Bought it from Ford and paid a premium price! Have not see one ounce of improvement.

TB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Edelbrock intake will work way better then the spacer.
The Spacer on these trucks, with the extremely long runners in the intake, isn't going to do much, other then add even more volume to the intake (slightly). The amount it is adding, isn't going to offer much over the Truck style intake. The air flow also must make an immediate bend right after the throttle body, so I do not feel the claims of helping with air speed/flow/turbulence are as valid with these style of intakes (it may work lot better on other vehicles)

There is also the ever present issue that is the Stock E7 heads; Once you replace the 5.8 intake, it is the next biggest bottle neck in the system. The Edelbrock Intake and throttle body should be more then capable of supplying any air the rest of the stock engine needs.

The timing bump can help, but it seems that the 302's respond better to it then the 5.8s in my experience. Not that you wont notice, it just will not be as noticable on a 351 Truck.

I would suggest looking into a Punisher Valve body for your e4od. It will change the driving dynamic of the Bronco a bunch as it will actually shift and hold gears in a more performance oriented manner. I have them in all my e4od trucks (have 3 right now)
All good info! Heads are in the future plans, but I haven't decided which route to go yet. Hell, there's even been some murmers of doing a coyote swap some day. I'm just not there yet. Half of the joy of owning an older truck is the simplicity and performance gains based on that originality. This truck will never be a Baja champion...or Baja runner for that matter. I have considered the lightning heads, but again not the 1st on the list.
As for the E4OD suggestion, that may come in handy as I am running 35s on a 6" BDS lift. I haven't had the acceleration issues most complain about. In fact, it shifts great since fixing my EGR and TPS issues last fall. For 3 years I though the trans was shot. No downshifting of any kind for any reason and it clunked at 1-2 and often 2-3. All of that is gone! Smooth as silk.
Long runner intake length = high low-end performance at the expense of top end hp.....and I think thats what you want from a truck, otherwise get an SUV
Adding an inch to the very lengthy intake runner these have is like giving John Holmes and extra inch of Dick....what a waste!:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I think I'm not gonna do the spacer anymore!
That said, I'd pay money to see a Holmes movie with an extra inch. Go big or go Holmes! An inch is the difference between a grunt and a scream. I've always said that (picture Ron White's voice)

·
Man of endless projects
10,389 Posts
the only kinda spacer that will do anything is a intake spacer (between upper and lower intake) as it does tend to help prevent heat from going up into the upper intake. event that is very marginal and nobody would probably notice any difference. throttle body spacers should only be used with carbs, on EFI its a waste of money

i always hate hearing people buying the Edelbrock intake and BBK throttle body. stupid overpriced junk, cant make myself spend $1500 on that combo. on a stock engine, the cost vs benefit is very low. on a mild engine its OK but not great. on a decent built engine, the intake becomes a restriction.

not sure if NY requires anything like a CARB EO number. honestly i would have jsut had the intake sent to a professional porter and for a few hundred bucks, probably perform just as good if not better. then that money can be spent on something better like cylinder heads or gas

as for the 6liter tune up. its decent but on a 351w you might have to experiment with the timing. some can run 14* and some can do only 12*. without a knock sensor like the 302 use to automaticly retard timing to prevent pinging, you will ahve to see if it pings or not. also MSD stuff is also overpriced. MSD coils nowdays are junk. the cap n rotor is expensive cause the the plug wire retainer gimmick. the Ford Racing wires are decent but i prefer using Taylor Cable as ive had issues with the Ford Racing wires melting and arching alot more than i like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the only kinda spacer that will do anything is a intake spacer (between upper and lower intake) as it does tend to help prevent heat from going up into the upper intake. event that is very marginal and nobody would probably notice any difference. throttle body spacers should only be used with carbs, on EFI its a waste of money

i always hate hearing people buying the Edelbrock intake and BBK throttle body. stupid overpriced junk, cant make myself spend $1500 on that combo. on a stock engine, the cost vs benefit is very low. on a mild engine its OK but not great. on a decent built engine, the intake becomes a restriction.

not sure if NY requires anything like a CARB EO number. honestly i would have jsut had the intake sent to a professional porter and for a few hundred bucks, probably perform just as good if not better. then that money can be spent on something better like cylinder heads or gas

as for the 6liter tune up. its decent but on a 351w you might have to experiment with the timing. some can run 14* and some can do only 12*. without a knock sensor like the 302 use to automaticly retard timing to prevent pinging, you will ahve to see if it pings or not. also MSD stuff is also overpriced. MSD coils nowdays are junk. the cap n rotor is expensive cause the the plug wire retainer gimmick. the Ford Racing wires are decent but i prefer using Taylor Cable as ive had issues with the Ford Racing wires melting and arching alot more than i like.
Tell me you hate my build without saying you hate my build. Lol! Jk. I'd agree that running an intake alone is a waste without other parts. I did say I'm running a Bassani exhaust and y pipe. Headers will be soon. The truck will breathe. It will be better than stock. I've had the intake for 7 years. I got it for a song. It was a decent deal so it offsets the money issue. My Throttle body has seen better days. There was a pcv and egr issue prior to me owning it and it saw some oil vapors in it and the plenum. All in all, I think I'm in a good direction.

·
Man of endless projects
10,389 Posts
nahh truck will choke on dem E7 heads. thats your single biggest choke point. thats where the money should be going. stock intake is poor but the E7 heads are the biggest issue

but at least you didnt pay todays prices for the intake. its currently going for $1050 which is absurd for a mediocre and ugly intake that is not always direct swap. you could buy a used Lightning intake (also absurdly priced) for around that and it will flow better, look better, and be OE parts

and theres pretty much no reason to go with a BBK throttle unless as you say your throttle body is bad. even then a used one will work jsut fine, throttle body is not a choke point. hard for me to justify 400$ for a throttle body.

as for the intake bolts, theres 4 bolts in particular that liek to break, those are all 4 corners. there are coolant ports right next to them and the tiny sliver of gasket material separating them is terrible. while the best thing to do is to repair these bolts, i have never had an issue yet with just RTVing aroundthe coolant port and leaving them broken.

might be a good idea to get intake studs. the only 2 bolts you will want to reuse ar ethe ones that hold the coil bracket inplace.

some AFR165/185 heads would do great ;).

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,273 Posts
@Kingfish999 is spot on on the comments here... And has been there and done that with all these parts.
Agree on the AFR's too, the new-ish enforcers would be a good bolt on, on a stock bottom end choice.

·
Man of endless projects
10,389 Posts
Enforcers would be good as long as he can get away with it with his emmisions. since it does not have thermactor ports it technically would not pass but i doubt most places would even notice. the EGR would not be an issue sicne the 5.8 uses the exhaust manifold for it unlike the 5.0 that uses the intake manifold. but also idk how strict NY is about the emmisions testing but im sure its pretty strict.

the Renegades do cost alot more but yuo can get them with smog legal. or even with pedestal rockers. and they do flow quite abit more than the Enforcers.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Enforcers would be good as long as he can get away with it with his emmisions. since it does not have thermactor ports it technically would not pass but i doubt most places would even notice. the EGR would not be an issue sicne the 5.8 uses the exhaust manifold for it unlike the 5.0 that uses the intake manifold. but also idk how strict NY is about the emmisions testing but im sure its pretty strict.

the Renegades do cost alot more but yuo can get them with smog legal. or even with pedestal rockers. and they do flow quite abit more than the Enforcers.
It depends on where at in the state… When I lived in Jefferson County we didn’t have emissions, although we had visual safety inspections.

·
Man of endless projects
10,389 Posts
One thing that Steve83 said that I agreed on was that emission laws can change. They can alway me implement more or stricter laws. Just like they are trying to remove off-highway performance parts from the market.bi would not be surprised if NY started becoming more strict

1 - 16 of 16 Posts