Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some money for xmas and was considering several different mods/add ons.I was wondering if any of you have a throttle body spacer and how amazing the results are. They look like they're very easy to install.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My opinion, a total waste of time and money. I have one on my truck that my Dad put on there when he had it. The only reason it is still there is I have been too lazy to remove it. I see no difference in any power or mileage from it.
Shane

·
Registered
50 Posts
Throttle body spacers and those tornado things are both just really expensive paper weights. I also heard that the throttle bodies make an anoying wistle sound too along w/ really not doing anything.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Depending on your cash flow you got. I would get a good set of shorty headers or maybe a K&N air filter set up.. That will increase the horses and all around performance..

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was considering a K&N filter or intake kit. But headers would have to be a little ways down the road. By the way is it true that the factory spark plug wires will not fit with headers. I was thinking about putting headers on my old chevy blazer I had and a guy at an exhaust shop told me that I would need to change the wires.

·
Registered
871 Posts
metalhead said:
I was considering a K&N filter or intake kit. But headers would have to be a little ways down the road. By the way is it true that the factory spark plug wires will not fit with headers. I was thinking about putting headers on my old chevy blazer I had and a guy at an exhaust shop told me that I would need to change the wires.

You'll want a different set of wires anyway. Go with the Ford Racing 9mm or I went with the Jacobs wires that have the vari-angle boot. When putting the boots on you can adjust them to the angle that works best for that plug location. They were more expensive than the Ford wires though.

Throttle body spacer was a waste for me too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with the headers

metalhead said:
.....was considering several different mods/add ons.I was wondering if any of you have a throttle body spacer ....
Having messed with putting mustang EFI/intakes/engines into trucks for a bit, I would recommend two things for the first improvements

1. The efi intake on the Broncos/trucks really should be on cars and the car intakes should be on trucks. The car intake really builds better torque on the low end then the truck EFI, but needs a different cam to take advantage of that. and the truck EFI intake gives much better hi end flow. that said, shorty headers would be first on my list, (was first on my list) air is coming in OK, help get it out faster.

2. Then as the budget allows go for the K&N intake. After that If you don't have a Mass Air EFI there isn't much to do that won't confound the ECC.

Of course if your carburated, this is gobbledy goop.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
metalsmith said:
Having messed with putting mustang EFI/intakes/engines into trucks for a bit.
I'd like to hear more about these projects?

metalsmith said:
The efi intake on the Broncos/trucks really should be on cars and the car intakes should be on trucks. The car intake really builds better torque on the low end then the truck EFI, but needs a different cam to take advantage of that. and the truck EFI intake gives much better hi end flow.
Interesting :brownbag You got any data to back this up?
From my experence, the 5.0L Truck intake flows well all the way to 4500RPM. The 5.8L and 7.5L intakes don't flow after 3500RPM.
The basic Car 5.0L intake sucks on most engines.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
Okay, I'm here for my official comment ;)
Looks like you have a 96 Bronco, That should be Mass Air.
For a cheap mod I sugest the K&N drop in filter, NOT the big kit.
Then I would get a new exhaust system. Headers won't do anything infront of the stock cats and 2.25" exhaust pipe. After exhaust you can get headers.
If you have a 5.0L the intake is good, 5.8L Edelbrock intake is a good option.
Next goes Cylinder Heads.

No throttle body spacer, no cam change, money saved

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like no cats if possible.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
I'd like to hear more about these projects?
The first waas a street rod my neighbor needed help with. it went very smooth and I didn't learn enough to take on the conversion in my 80 F150, which is being done with Ebay parts.
Interesting :brownbag You got any data to back this up?
From my experence, the 5.0L Truck intake flows well all the way to 4500RPM. The 5.8L and 7.5L intakes don't flow after 3500RPM.
The basic Car 5.0L intake sucks on most engines.
My personal opin/experience is the stock EFI intake give better low torque, ie better velocities in the runners, (mostly because they are a bit restrictive) And they seem to benefit most from the throttle body spacers, intake spacers that are available. IMHO this doesnt take into consideration the differences between roller blocks and older flat tappet blocks. I haven't got a flat tappet cam EFI running yet.(give me some warmer weather)
The truck EFI intake, whiich has larger runners, giving better top end breathing, then the stock car intake. This works to a point, because they both need improvement the car intake in the high end and the truck intake for low RPM torque.
Now this is from informal study, and Several (2) EFI installs,
remember, I'm an electrician.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a hick in the middle of Nebraska. I'm in Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska(not very large). We get plenty of rain and precipitation in general.

·
Registered
547 Posts
metalhead said:
I'm not a hick in the middle of Nebraska. I'm in Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska(not very large). We get plenty of rain and precipitation in general.

Funny, I am not a "hick in the middle of Nebraska" either.

I see by your profile you are quite young. You should make yourself aware of how the farmers and ranchers of Nebraska are faring. They drive the State's economy, even in Omaha. the State is in the second year of a serious drought. This affects crop yields, beef and cattle production, and how much those "hicks" are willing to spend in town.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey metalsmith, I apologize I wasn't paying close attention and didn't realize that the in the middle of nebraska thing was part of your signiture or your location. I first thought you were giving me a hard time because I'm from nebraska with no hills, rocks, rain, etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I understand. I think you and I are the entire Nebraska Chapter. At least if you get closer to the Missouri river you have hills.

·
Only the Bronco
973 Posts
I can jive with the fact that the 7.5's don't flow well after 3500 RPM........ I need more flow.....

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey maed10, Do you think it was well worth the money and do you notice any significant difference in performance and fuel efficiency? And one more thing, how well do you like your K&N intake and was it worth it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts