Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead

ok i descided it would be easier to change out the throttle body on the 91 5.0 efi then tring to remove screws holding in the throttle posting sencor,,, well i was told that there is no differance between the 91 and 88 throttle body,, thell visuale inspection shows there are and mechanical inspetion shows there are also (88 uses 2 vac lines mounted in mounting plate to the upper intake where as the 91 uses 1 w/a solinoid operating it mounted inbetween the throttle body runners,, the 88 mounting surface ( to the intake ) is smooth alonge w/ the intake to the 91, and the 91 throttle body is machined out with onle about 1/4" surface to the edges,, and i found major carbon build up in the intake and runners in the throttle body and with all that said. and i am not wanting to take a chance with the 2 throttle being difference will the seafoam clean out all the carbon build up in the 91 intake and throttle body runners???? and if so should i add to the tank as well as letting it suck up through a vac port and let it set for about 6 hrs?:drinkbud

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
The throttle bodys are interchangable.

The carbon is from the EGR, it is normal.

Scrape the cabon from the TB.

Letting sea foam sit for six hours will just let it evaporate. Follow the directions on the can.

:beer

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,857 Posts
How about some spray carb cleaner? B-12 Chemtool? Think that'd be effective in this case? Getting it down where he can't clean?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
Saurian said:
How about some spray carb cleaner? B-12 Chemtool? Think that'd be effective in this case? Getting it down where he can't clean?
The only way I ever got my upper intake clean was by taking it off the truck, layng it on the ground upside down and spraying Air Craft coating remover in the runners. I let it sit for about 15 minuts, rinsed and repeated. Took about an hour to actualy clean it.

Nothing you just spray in the TB is going to clean the upper (or lower) intake verry much.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Throttle Body

Just changed my Throttle position sensor and cleaned carbon out of throttle body, don't use carb. cleaner best to use brake cleaner it will clean it so it looks brand new, and will not eat any rubber o- rings or seals that are in throttle body.There are two different sensors in for Cal. emissions and the reg. one, i have a 96 with 351W. brake cleaner and a rag worked good had to scrubige on the stubburn stains. CHUCKD43:goodfinge :rebelflag

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
I used just carb cleaner on my throttle body just a few weeks back when I cleaned my I.A.C. solenoid. Normally I would take off the throttle body but I was lazy that day and just sprayed the carb cleaner inside the throttle body using rags and Q-tips I cleaned up all the carbon buildup that I could get to. For a really good job it should be taken off, but this method will work as well.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Gacknar said:
The only way I ever got my upper intake clean was by taking it off the truck, layng it on the ground upside down and spraying Air Craft coating remover in the runners. I let it sit for about 15 minuts, rinsed and repeated. Took about an hour to actualy clean it.

Nothing you just spray in the TB is going to clean the upper (or lower) intake verry much.
Try BG Air Intake System Cleaner next time. I just sprayed it in and wiped clean. It works with the coating Ford uses too so it doesn't destroy it.

brad

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
darb said:
Try BG Air Intake System Cleaner next time. I just sprayed it in and wiped clean. It works with the coating Ford uses too so it doesn't destroy it.
Im not talking about the Throttle body. I just scrape that clean with a flat head screwdriver.:toothless
(Maybe a little Purple Power too :D)
Im talking about the runners in the upper intake.

See look

blackbroncoxlt65 said:
will the seafoam clean out all the carbon build up in the 91 intake and throttle body runners????
Gacknar said:

:beer :thumbup

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Gacknar said:
Im not talking about the Throttle body. I just scrape that clean with a flat head screwdriver.:toothless
(Maybe a little Purple Power too :D)
Im talking about the runners in the upper intake.
Well I used it there too when I had mine off. Guess i should read more than the title of the thread huh?:toothless

brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts