Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im helping a friend install an edelbrock 1406 4bbl and we have the right brackets for the throttle and kickdown. My question is where do you get that little pivot ball that clips into the end of you're throttle cable/rod, the one that holds the rod to the bracket?

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
I made my own on a lathe, 1/4 20 threads and all. I've seen a couple people use grease zerks, dont know how well that works though...

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Mine was pressed into the linkage. Dont ask me why but I ran the numbers on my old 2150 and it was a 77 model. IIRC there are about 5 or 6 different versions of the 2150, so there are bound to be minor changes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now we are having problems with the throttle rod being "kicked out" to the side, sort of binding when connected to the bracket. The bracket we are using is an edelbrock 1483. Any input or suggestions always welcome.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
All of the stock stuff went right on to my 1406. Post some pictures so we can see what your problem is. What did you do for the pivot pin?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ranger429, we used the pivot off the old carb like you suggested, bolted right up. I got home awhile ago so I cant get pics tonight. Here is the part we used, it bolts to the existing linkage with the two little holes facing out (middle arm for kickdown). The bottom one of the two holes is where we mounted the pivot point (the other for C/C). With this bracket bolted on it extends the linkage out, thus kicking out the throttle rod and pivot point. This was the only other hole in the bracket we could mount the pivot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We tried that but it interfered with the kickdown rod. Here is a pic I found, its not my friends but it should help, ignore the beaded chain (its for a custom hand throttle).

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Can you do something similiar to mine. That plastic piece that is on yours is for the cruise control. If you notice I don't have that on mine (yet) because I have not figured out a good way to hook it all together. I also have a cable instead of the solid piece like yours so that will make a difference to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Ranger, that does help. Yeah, that top hole in the linkage looked like a good spot for the C/C hook up so we mounted it there. I notice you have a quadrajet, is the linkage off you're 2150?

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
No that is the old Edelbrock carb I had on it. The linkage for the kickdown rod I think was swapped over.

Here is a pic of the Carter carb that is on it now. Pretty much the same setup.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ok, the more I look at I guess you have the same linkage as in my pic. All you have to do for the C/C plastic piece is move your throttle piviot point down one hole and put the C/C mount where it was. We had to cut the notch back a little on the C/C mount to clear the throttle pivot.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Yeah, I just have had no desire to go out and work on it after getting done with the resto. I'd rather drive it now and really have no use for the cruise at this point.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it looks like the throttle rod/cable offset is pretty common with the aftermarket brackets. I dont know why but you're 79 bronco has the cable and my friends 79 f150 has the rod? It looks like the cable itself takes out some of the bind. How hard is it to swap over to the throttle cable and what parts should be swaped?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts