Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in a 87 with 302 EFI, freshly built AOD and freshly built BW1356. I got all this installed and took it for a test drive in the lot next door.

For the most part throttle operates normally. But every now and then it would become stiff and impossible to press the throttle down. Then when it releases it does it slowly like vacuum pressure is being released. That is the best I can explane it.

I have no idea what could be causing this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
check the cable sleeve right at the connection to your throttle body. mine does that and the sleeve is broken on the cable.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the cable sleeve right at the connection to your throttle body. mine does that and the sleeve is broken on the cable.
So what is it exactly doing? I assume you mean the throttle cable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yep throttle cable. and mine does the same thing occasionally, i always wondered why, until i inspected the cable underneath the black cover on the throttle body. if its not that, i would try greasing the cable up a bit. a little lube goes long way!

·
Registered
25 Posts
look at the throttle return spring and make sure its working. spray a little lube on the spring. ditto on the greasing of the cable.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what my setup looks like. The orange outer housing on the throttle cable has a split in the end of it. But I don't think it is causing any issues.

If you look at the TV cable mount you can see it sits crooked in it's mount. One of the clips on the side is broke of so it does not sit in the mount very sturdy. And when you hit the throttle it seems to move around which would make the TV cable not adjusted right. Possibly this is creating a issue?

I just tried the throttle with the ignition off and it seems to be slightly stiff and not very smooth. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
look at the throttle return spring and make sure its working. spray a little lube on the spring. ditto on the greasing of the cable.
The throttle return spring appears to be in good working order. I will try to lube the throttle cable.

On a side note any one know if you can buy a new TV cable?And where?

·
Registered
215 Posts
lmctruck.com has oe replacement parts, or you could find one at a junkyard.

Doesn't look like your cable is broken, mine is where it slides into the orange sleeve, that's why it binds up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lmctruck.com has oe replacement parts, or you could find one at a junkyard.

Doesn't look like your cable is broken, mine is where it slides into the orange sleeve, that's why it binds up.
I checked LMC but did not see it there. Prob have to find in junk yard.

Throttle does operate correctly most of the time. Then all of a sudden you can't press it down.

·
Registered
215 Posts
lmc will have it, you just have to look really hard to find that sort of thing. let me see what i can find in my catalog...

·
Registered
215 Posts
accelerator cable, part #43-4534 thru lmc. 39.95 might be cheaper at npd but i will look after im done eating.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
accelerator cable, part #43-4534 thru lmc. 39.95 might be cheaper at npd but i will look after im done eating.
Sorry I am actually needing a TV cable. My throttle cable seems to be ok.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yah, in that case, good luck finding one new, junkyard is probably your cheapest and easiest bet there. try craigslist, see if anyone in your neighborhood is parting out their truck. might get lucky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts