Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the rig wheelin the other day up the road from my house at a small spot.

It was kind of sloppy but not to bad, not bad enough for 4x4 tho, even tho i had the hubs locked in just in case.

Went to climb up a 5 foot hill not steep at all and it wouldnt do it in 2x4, or 4x4 high, well it did go in 4x4 high but i had to get a running start at it, so I had tried it again but in 4x4 low and it done it.

Anything i can do to get constant power all of the time with-out being in 4x4 low? It seems like the motor doesnt want to pick up until about 2000 rpm.

bone stock 302. 35's. 3.55 gears <-could that be the problem...460 is goin in this summer, but i do wanna have some fun gettin the best out of the 302 while its still in.

·
Registered
904 Posts
dude... if you arent physically making it up a hill then it doesnt mean that your engine doesnt ahve the actual power. Its all about traction. That is why you couldnt make it up, you did not have enough momentum to make up for poor traction trying to get up the hill. Now, additional punch can help you build that momentum faster, which would mean you wouldnt need as much of a running start, but bottom line is your engien is so weak that it cant move your bronco up an incline.

If you want to make it up that hill then i would advise improving somewhere in the traction department instead of trying to add more power to your engine. Get a rear locker. If you are going to be throwing a 460 in there anyways then get a 1 ton rear axle first, and then a locker for it. Iwould highly recommend a corporate 14bolt as they are cheap, the parts to build them (lockers included) are cheap, and you cant find a tougher rear axle in stock form.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Yes, 3.55's and 35's are more then likely your problem. Consider re-gearing, regardless of engines.

Also note, 35's and a 460 are going to kill your 8.8. What are you doing for a transmission/driveline as well?

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, 3.55's and 35's are more then likely your problem. Consider re-gearing, regardless of engines.

Also note, 35's and a 460 are going to kill your 8.8. What are you doing for a transmission/driveline as well?
c6-np205...dana 60's after i blow out my front/rear ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts