Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, the bronc has been sitting awhile so i charge battery and start er up and let it idle about 5 minutes. get in rev the engine and buried the tach. tap the pedal hoping it would back off, didnt, so i shut it down. pull off the plastic cover over the throttle butterfly and its rusted up pretty good. its bathing in wd40 as i type, but i would still like to replace even if it does straighten out. what part name/names am i looking for and does anyone have one for sale? thanks guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i assume its the 92 351? i would suggest hitting up a "u pull it" yard cant cost but 10-15 bucks for the whole throttle body, if your just looking for the spring, im sure they would just let you have it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Disassemble the TB and check all of the components then clean/reassemble it.
You should be able to re-use it unless it's in bad shaped.
btw, i hope you didn't soak the TPS with the WD40.

if that doesn't work then try the junk yard like kals1stride suggested and pick up a new throttle body

·
Registered
200 Posts
wait, was the butterfly rusted open? that REALLY doesn't sound right. but if the butterfly was closed and rusted, and it's going wot at startup, check the throttle position sensor, and then check for vacuum leaks. i just had this happen 2 days ago ended up being a messed up gasket.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had the same thing from a 351 in an 98 FedEx truck. I had to work on it for a friend. It had not run in years. After working out the bugs I started it for the first time. When I steped on the pedal it didn't come back. I told him to spray it with PB Blaster 3 days in a row. He came out to spray it the third day to find the pedal back up and working fine. It still works fine a year later. I herd others say just take it off,clean it,free it up and reinstall. I'd get a case and do that if I were you. :beer

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sure enough, lubed it up four days straight and feels brandy new. even runs more stable. funny how I always think the worst possible, but thats the way this rig has been going since the resto. thanks for the help guys:rockon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts