Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is what hapend...... had a new $$ 3000 engine put in..got rid my 351m and swaped to a 400 and first day i drove it i throwed my u-joint at the rear were it goes into the rearend the rearend yoke has u claps and one side and they chiped off ruffed up good i replaced with new u joint and i throwed a u-joint 5 times agian but now i put another one in and it hasnt came out yet maby its fixed?? but should i still replace the yoke and were can i get one ? also ive herd a rattle noise in the engine for a lil while and now its worse i see the crank pulley is warped could that be what was throwing the u joint because it was causing vibration and were can i get a 3 grove 400 crank pulley at???:whiteflag

·
Registered
643 Posts
So you "throwed" your u -joint how many times? :goodfinge

i had to do it.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
your loosing the rear u joints from one of many different reasons or a combination of such.

worn yoke
loose u bolts
over tight u bolts
cheap u joints
not lubercating greasable u joints
axle wrap
worn slip yoke and splines
wrong pinion angle

any one of those have been put under more load with the increase of power from the fresh engine thus causing the problem.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I was having the exact same trouble with my u-joint, that exact one actually. What i found out was my spring perches had come loose from the axle and was allowing it to wrap horribly thus allowing the u-joint to bind up. was really hard to tell hairline cracks under dirt. But then i found out i tighten the straps too much as well, just snug is fine and check them regularly. the u-joint thing and your engine i am sure is not related though. But like jopes said it could be a combination of things, having someone watch your axle while you do some stop and go see how bad it wraps.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
jopes said:
your loosing the rear u joints from one of many different reasons or a combination of such.

worn yoke
loose u bolts
over tight u bolts
cheap u joints
not lubercating greasable u joints
axle wrap
worn slip yoke and splines
wrong pinion angle

any one of those have been put under more load with the increase of power from the fresh engine thus causing the problem.
Lubercating?....:goodfinge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts