Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father once again bought another bronco to go with his 88. Just grabbed it for $400. could not pass it up. body is in near excellent condition. needs a paint jobs but almost no rust. 351w rebuilt from Ford and have reciepts to prove it. about 64k on the engine. :chili: when we first started up when we where amazed at the price it idelt at liek 700 rpm. then we test drove it. when we came back it was racing at about 2000rpm. check engine light off. ok so wtf. i pull the map vacuum line and there suction as well the truck idles back down but then blows black smoke. ok so i plug that back in. ill assume i made it run a little to rich. apparently the guy set fire to the air filter box with starting fluid. (i have a spare one) :rockon one side was crushed so i just removed the air hoses and let it suck in air with no filter. we drive it home fine by unplugging the MAP sensor. (stiff ass ride, i thought my 85 was stiff). so i do the oll paper clip trick.

codes i got where for koeo,cm (32,67,63,96)

32 EVP circuit

67 Nuetral safety switch (the guy replaced the switch and the old on is in the back to prove it. althought the truck dont start with the key atm. least of the problems)

63 TPS (havent meet a ford that didnt need one yet. but ill assume its because i uplugged it before i unplugged the MAP. i also had a spare TPS so when i got it home i plugged it in for shits and giggles. no dice. i dont think this is the problem)

96 Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit. (the guy also just changed the fuel pump and has a nice new red gas tank)

the truck was sitting for a year. i diddnt run the koer manly because when i tried to it didnt do jack sh!t. ill try again in the day light. this bronco looks good with the other 4 we have int he yard which includes

2 (1985) (one is for sale. my brothers all black with a 4" rancho lift he wants 2k for this 114k miles.)

1 (1988) (up for sale also gimmie a offer)

1 (1981) XLS (up for sale. best offer. im keepign the roll bar in it though)

1 (1989) new toy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what no responses. i just check codes again i got a speed sensor code (29). prob ecuase its racing at 2000rpm constantly. wtf is causeing this. once it goes into gear it goes to 1100rpm. i need info asap. i unplugged the iac and the idle stayed the same. so i guess im going to check for vacuum leak. i need input ;-D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
prob ecuase its racing at 2000rpm constantly. wtf is causeing this. once it goes into gear it goes to 1100rpm

remove your idle control sensor and clean it. make sure it moves freelee. and leaks can do it two

·
Registered
97 Posts
Woohoo just picked up my 89 for 900 bux! I need to get some little parts together. I can't wait!

BTW I was going to say, check out what abra is talking about. The Idle control sensor.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
abra said:
prob ecuase its racing at 2000rpm constantly. wtf is causeing this. once it goes into gear it goes to 1100rpm

remove your idle control sensor and clean it. make sure it moves freelee. and leaks can do it two
welp i have to that know but while it was racing i was attempting to drive it to autozone when i heard a pop and steam. i thought it was the radiator hose. but know it looks liek its comming from the water pump. rate below the 2 heater hoses. i pulled off the heater hoses to make sure. im assuming theres a weep hole there. either way things have a way at getting back at me. damn why cant this be carb. i can prob change my water pump in less than a hour. arg. note to self dont buy efi.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
the pump should only take 1/2 hr tring to put the bypass hose on is another 1/2:banghead

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
equivalent said:
welp i have to that know but while it was racing i was attempting to drive it to autozone when i heard a pop and steam. i thought it was the radiator hose. but know it looks liek its comming from the water pump. rate below the 2 heater hoses. i pulled off the heater hoses to make sure. im assuming theres a weep hole there. either way things have a way at getting back at me. damn why cant this be carb. i can prob change my water pump in less than a hour. arg. note to self dont buy efi.
It could be one of the bypass hoses that went, and not the water pump.

As far as the KOER test goes.......I think you should resolve all the KOEO & CM code's first.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update how far i got. yesterday i got the pump off. all the water pumps bolts but one backed out by hand. no socket wrench. kinda scared me. had one problem with a bolt for the bracket holding the ac/ps pumps on. after drilling it then putting a 4 foot bar to it. the head blew off and the bolts came out by hand.
today i went to go put the water pump on and just as i was cleanign it with a razor for th enew gasket. a chunk of the timing cover came off in my hand. wtf.
the truck still starts up so the chain is still in tact. wtf is with the exploding timeing cover. the water pump was cracked to. unfortunatly im not going to be able to work on it for a few days since were suppose to get liek a foot of snow. but looks liek the timeing cover blew which took out the water pump. first time ive seen it. i wasnt plannign on goign this far, but looks liek im forced to. im wondering if maybe the timeing moved and cracked the cover. ill get soime pictures soon to back it up. hehe.
this prob explains the oil in the air filter from blow by. lalala.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
equivalent said:
update how far i got. yesterday i got the pump off. all the water pumps bolts but one backed out by hand. no socket wrench. kinda scared me. had one problem with a bolt for the bracket holding the ac/ps pumps on. after drilling it then putting a 4 foot bar to it. the head blew off and the bolts came out by hand.
today i went to go put the water pump on and just as i was cleanign it with a razor for th enew gasket. a chunk of the timing cover came off in my hand. wtf.
the truck still starts up so the chain is still in tact. wtf is with the exploding timeing cover. the water pump was cracked to. unfortunatly im not going to be able to work on it for a few days since were suppose to get liek a foot of snow. but looks liek the timeing cover blew which took out the water pump. first time ive seen it. i wasnt plannign on goign this far, but looks liek im forced to. im wondering if maybe the timeing moved and cracked the cover. ill get soime pictures soon to back it up. hehe.
this prob explains the oil in the air filter from blow by. lalala.

ive seen it before:

water pump/timing cover nightmare

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joes93Bronco said:
yea i read that thread shortly after writing the update. suxs.
question for you. where did you get the dampener puller from? i dont think the one at autozone is bigger enough. when i did my enign rebuild on my 85 with vbelts i had to goto my brothers school and used there huge jaws of life they have there. im pretty certain i would have to remove the radiator for that one. btw the clutch fan on this thing is the exact same way. seal is broken. lmao.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
little update on the bronco and some pics. i know how you all love pics.

damn grease ball and chain loose

when things go bump in the night

roller timing chain. bottom sprocket didnt fit on the crank. ok had go to nonroller. piff. better than nothing

tool i used that i barrowed from autozone to remove the bootom pulley after breaking a few teeth with a hammer. lmao. just rent the tool . way easier. :thumbup why ur at it if your good friends with the autozone manager barrow the electric impact gun for the dampener pulley. and you will need the damner puller to.

non roller all nice and spiffy before install.

after install

more pictures at the site. i really need to hit it with a power washer. but yerstay i got the timing cover and water pump on. i just need to throw on the odds and ends now.

putting the timing chain on it liek idiot proof since all i idid was line up the timing marks then remove the pulleys. the bootom has a key and top has liek a pin so they only go on one way. my first timing chain. getting to it was the bitch. and yes i used the felpro gasket kit. had everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts