Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and looking at this swap for years, and I always get conflicting information on whether or not T-Bird calipers from a 78 T Bird will bolt right in or now. I went to a parts store and put my caliper right next to a TB caliper and both look to have identical mounting points, all I would need to do is fit up different lines.

So tell me, can anybody confirm that the late 70s Full Size Ford caliper will fit my 1992? It looks like it will, but I wanna be sure before I shell out big bux upgrading the master cylinder and tearing into all the rust.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Search the tech write ups section

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have searched, extensively. I've seen up to 1982 is bolt in, up to 1992 is bolt in, and up to 1993 is bolt in. The caliper for my truck and the Bird caliper look to mount the same way, but I want confirmation or any suggestions of where to go. Or details of how the front calipers in these trucks have changed from 1980-1996

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the caliper for a 78 Bird:

This is my caliper:

I cannot find anybody who has specifically done this, but I also cannot find anybody who can give me the specifics of exactly why this swap won't work. I know I need different banjo bolts and a bigger booster etc, but I have yet to find a definitive yes or no and why on this question. If anybody can help, or knows of somebody who did this swap in a newer truck, that would be a lot of help.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pad numbers are different, but look nearly identical...
Mine:

Bird and 82 Bronco:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm interested.
I'm about to replace both calipers on my truck and possibly the hard lines due to rust. might as well do the M/C and booster to.
What's the advantage?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you use the pads for your truck you should be able to make it work.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I guess if I end up doing it I should take lotsa pictures.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update: The slides are identical, as verified on several junkyard trucks and cars. I bought brake pads for my application and they seem to fit perfectly. Should be a very straightforward installation. I have all my parts, waiting for a day with decent weather where I don't work!

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
An update: The slides are identical, as verified on several junkyard trucks and cars. I bought brake pads for my application and they seem to fit perfectly. Should be a very straightforward installation. I have all my parts, waiting for a day with decent weather where I don't work!
Please update the thread as quickly as you can. I am somewhat interested in this. I would love to hear about stopping improvement after the install.

Thanks
tim

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If somebody in Lincoln or Omaha Nebraska would be willing to lend a bay of their shop, I could get it done much sooner. It's cold as balls outside and started to drop flurries.

I'll get on it as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
If somebody in Lincoln or Omaha Nebraska would be willing to lend a bay of their shop, I could get it done much sooner. It's cold as balls outside and started to drop flurries.

I'll get on it as soon as I can.
LOL, no worries we are at least that patient.

I am interested in this as it may turn out to be a very viable brake upgrade without spending lots of money.

Take your time, just let us know what you find out.

thanks
tim

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updates are I'm taking 21 credit hours this quarter (Calculus 2, physics 2, and an electronics class) and I'm working FT and what was supposed to be control arm bushings and struts on my Thunderbird became a couple months on jack stands. and then the Bronco decided to start running like shit. and I bought an 89 F250 that needs HG BUT! it has a ZF5 for the Bronco.....

ie I have all the parts but haven't started the project. yet.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Updates are I'm taking 21 credit hours this quarter (Calculus 2, physics 2, and an electronics class) and I'm working FT and what was supposed to be control arm bushings and struts on my Thunderbird became a couple months on jack stands. and then the Bronco decided to start running like shit. and I bought an 89 F250 that needs HG BUT! it has a ZF5 for the Bronco.....

ie I have all the parts but haven't started the project. yet.
I am patient, I can wait. :) Hope things settle down for you soon. Just keep thinking the further your education goes, the further you go.

Anyway, just post up when you try the swap. No real biggie or pressure until then.

tim

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I know this is pushing 3 years old, but has anyone verified that you can use these calipers on the newer style spindles? Sorry to Necro a thread, I can start a new one if needed.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I know this is pushing 3 years old, but has anyone verified that you can use these calipers on the newer style spindles? Sorry to Necro a thread, I can start a new one if needed.
No new thread needed. It just shows that someone was willing to search.

As far as the calipers go, if they're that close to being identical, I don't see the obvious advantage anyone else appears to. Can someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The piston bore is quite a bit larger. I don't recall the numbers, but it's a sizable difference.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If this does work out, you may also have to change the master cylinder to retain the right ratio of master:caliper/slave. Otherwise, you can run into an actual loss of braking power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts