Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
89 fullsize 5.0
I've got a tick. It is there at idle and speeds up and slows down with the engine. I plan on going after the lifters. The Haynes manual says the camshaft has to be replaced when replacing the lifters. That true?
I'm not having any luck searching the threads.
Thank you in advance for your advice and wisdom.
Megan

·
Registered
446 Posts
Stock 5.0 in 89 bko is flat tappet cam/lifters.

Flat tappet cam/lifters develop a "mated" wear pattern. While you can change just the lifters, you are taking a gamble on wiping lobe (s) on the cam. If you do this, I suggest soaking the lifters/manually pumping them in some zinc based break-in oil, coating the cam lobes and lifter faces in break-in lube during installation, and filling the engine with break-in oil.

Having said that, are you positive it's the lifters causing the tick?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not at all sure that the noise is coming from the lifters. It seemed like a good place to start.
Long story short:
I've had the bronco for several years but have not put a ton of miles on. Two trips from Texas to Colorado and back. Odometer reads 54k(I'm guessing just 154k). Had some vacuum troubles and ultimately replaced the EVR solenoid and that fixed it. Soon after that the ticking started. I've pretty much been letting it sit since then as it is not a daily driver.
The ticking is always there, hot or cold. 200rpm or 2000rpm
I own or have owned and worked on older smaller engines. 73 vw and 80 400cc honda ect... This is a different animal.
I'm also trying to figure out how to navigate this website without much luck.
So thanks again for any advice.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Lifters are "crowned" to promote minor rotation during contact with the cam lobe to help "normalize" the wear pattern. When it comes to flat tappets, you can use new lifters with an old cam, but, you shouldn't use a new cam with old lifters.

With a roller cam, the combination of parts is negligible because there is no surface "mating" involved.

My $0.02,
Eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great information. Thanks.
I pulled each wire one by one from the distributor cap to check each cylinder and there was no change with the ticking noise. So I will have to search elsewhere for the noise but I still plan to check the condition of the lifters and whatnot. The truck isn't getting any younger and neither am I, so I'm planning on doing some much needed work that has been neglected then getting out and having some off road fun.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If you decide to do it yourself the passenger side is a real pain, pull the inner fenderwell to make it real easy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it to a shop to replace the exhaust manifold. They came off in pieces. It did not fix the ticking but it did fix an erratic idle. But now it back fires REALLY loud. Mostly just on the highway when foot is not on the gas.
Going to try the sea foam to fix the ticking before I take anything apart.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
Burnt valve could cause this, as in hole in valve, I would do a compression check and see if any cylinder sticks out as being low

1 - 14 of 14 Posts