Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I have a disabled Bronco 100 miles from nearest service. It is standing on an auto transport trailer, but is not tied down. I have no manual. Can someone please tell me where the safest tie-down points are, please. And, do I leave the brake on to transport? Please be basic as I don't know the underside of the truck like you do. Thanks!!

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
IME, I prefer to strap to the axles. Some people will strap the body and try and compress the suspenions, but I REALLY dont like doing it that way.

Yes, set parking brake for sure.

Criss cross the straps and strap to the axles. In the rear, strap between the spring perches and drums. In the front strap between the coil buckets and rotor splash shields.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
It completely depends on the Bronco in question. On a stock Bronco you will probably be fine just strapping down the axles, but on my Bronco that is a recipe for disaster. Why? Lift and a very soft suspension. I have found from experience that when only the axles are strapped down that the body roll on my Bronco is enough to cause the trailer to sway uncontrollably. Now I strap down the axles and compress the suspension enough to prevent any body roll. When secured with that method it tows very well.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Listen to Dave, he bases this on what we saw with RobbieM at RITS...when in doubt, load the suspension and strap ....cant hurt and may save either the bronco or your life or both!

Two things: (1) I dont own a tow rig, and (2) I am off my soapbox now

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah with a stock bronco strapping just the axles will probalby work; but with something that is tall and top heavy it makes sense to strap down the body too.

I also think it tows better with the suspension loaded, because it doesn't sway at all and feels much more stable.

Either way, I don't think there will be any consequences of over securing a load.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok I'm a rollback driver,like Steve says where's the tow truck driver?What exactly do you mean by an auto transport trailer? There are all kinds of car trailers Tow dollies to flatbeds can you be a little more clear on what kind of trailer?If someone is towing you I can tell you what a fair market price is for a hundred miles. How can you be 100 miles from someone who works on fords?Poor kid you must be in B.F.E.!If its stock strap to the axles front and back,yes set the brake,if your using tie down straps feed them through the rims,be sure you strap down the back too!I only say this because I have seen them come off the back or bounce into the headache rack!If the truck is lifted compress the springs with your straps!A little trade secret you can get it line hauled ie. someone who has a 2 or 3 car trailer as opposed to a tow truck cheaper if you have a few days to get it moved. Hope I helped Hell if your in South Carolina call me! LOL JC aka Wildthang

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have towed my Bronco thousands of miles on a flat bed trailer much of the time on crappy Baja roads.

My set up is to use six straps: Two axle straps on the rear axle to the back corners of the trailer, two straps with the hooks inserted in to the holes in the front frame horns behind the bumper to the front corners and two more straps about midway with the hooks inserted into the holes in the frame near the Tcase cross member to the sides of the trailer a few degrees forward from perpendicular. This set up prevents any movement by rolling and keeps the truck with lift and soft springs from leaning as well.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
being as how we do this damn near everyday for the military with big ass m series vehicles, and i know that your bronco isnt as big as an m series. I would strap front to rear in an x pattern under the truck. right front to left rear and left front to right rear. There are also parts of the frame that you can use to strap it down but being stock i would just roll with the frame.

if it is lifted after seeing robbie rolloever i would tie the frame and the body.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
It completely depends on the Bronco in question. On a stock Bronco you will probably be fine just strapping down the axles, but on my Bronco that is a recipe for disaster. Why? Lift and a very soft suspension. I have found from experience that when only the axles are strapped down that the body roll on my Bronco is enough to cause the trailer to sway uncontrollably. Now I strap down the axles and compress the suspension enough to prevent any body roll. When secured with that method it tows very well.
I have the same thing on my rig on the trailer. shortly after we got ours I started running the front suspension down with the winch and just leavig that hooked up. tows like a dream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.