Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says...On my 78 Bronco are Tie Rod and Drag Link grease boots all the same size? I see that Energy Suspension doesn't list Drag Link boots but yes for Tie Rod boots.

Also....
On the Tie Rod ends there’s a washer that covers the base of the tie rod - before the boot.

The new Tie Rod didn’t come with any washers. Are the washers a stock item and should I reuse them?

Stock with washer....

New Tie Rod Rod-no washer

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Never seen a washer on the stock or after market tie rod or drag link as in your picture, might be just that manufacture. So I would say you don't need it on the new ones. As for the boots I think the drag link boot is bigger, I tore a drag link years ago and tried to replace it with a boot I got in a bushing kit and it tore when I tightened down the nut. I would stick with rubber boots if you can, if you need to replace just one boot check out Rock Auto as they sell just the boots.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zig. Your right right the Drag Link Boot is slightly larger than the tie rod ends....pic

I also noticed that my original tie rod was bent slightly...pic. Unless this is the way the stock rod is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Nope, it's bent.

Reactions: canuckistan97
1 - 4 of 4 Posts