Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my tie rod drag links like 6 months ago and I know for sure the the smaller drag link that goes to the driver side is bad. It is so loose. Before that I replaced them about 2 years before and they were also really sloppy. Like you can shake the tie rod and the actual ball part will shake back and forth too. The longer drag link also feels a little sloppy but I don’t think as much. I’ve got a redhead steering box so no worry there. I’ve got a 4 inch drop pitman arm and a steering stabilizer both from rough country. Anyone know why this might be happening. The tie rod ends should be replaced but they aren’t horrible.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
how much lift/tires? type of lift (drop bracket, ext rad arms, etc)/ is it really well aligned by a quality shop who knows the TTB?

How many miles do you put on it?

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much lift/tires? type of lift (drop bracket, ext rad arms, etc)/ is it really well aligned by a quality shop who knows the TTB?

How many miles do you put on it?
I’ve got 4 inch coil springs from JBG with super lift pivot drop brackets and super lift radius arms. And yes it is well aligned. He even showed me the sheet. He just couldn’t quite get the caster good. But the camber and toe were good when it left. The owner also owns a brick nose bronco so I’m guessing he’s pretty familiar with it. Since January I’ve put 3000 miles on it. But 1800 were this month alone. I drove on I-85 a lot which has some big bumps, but shouldn’t affect it this bad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What brand of tie rod/drag links did you install? I’ve installed bad ones before - then I installed Moog parts and have been happy with them.
The ends are mevotech and they are ok, the left inner is a masterpro since I didn’t know I needed it and the right inner is a moog.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I’ve got 4 inch coil springs from JBG with super lift pivot drop brackets and super lift radius arms. And yes it is well aligned. He even showed me the sheet. He just couldn’t quite get the caster good. But the camber and toe were good when it left. The owner also owns a brick nose bronco so I’m guessing he’s pretty familiar with it. Since January I’ve put 3000 miles on it. But 1800 were this month alone. I drove on I-85 a lot which has some big bumps, but shouldn’t affect it this bad.
well, sounds like you've got things setup properly, and a good alignment shop.....I can't find one that will touch the TTB, I may have to make a trip out to Georgia. the only thing I can say is the quality of the parts, or maybe it is actually a tire issue? I would likely suggest doing all tie rod components at the same time, because if anything is left in that is worn, it could accelerate wear on new components. I know that is a PITA, especially as it looks like you've got a lot of other work on your plate you are doing to your Bronco.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, sounds like you've got things setup properly, and a good alignment shop.....I can't find one that will touch the TTB, I may have to make a trip out to Georgia. the only thing I can say is the quality of the parts, or maybe it is actually a tire issue? I would likely suggest doing all tie rod components at the same time, because if anything is left in that is worn, it could accelerate wear on new components. I know that is a PITA, especially as it looks like you've got a lot of other work on your plate you are doing to your Bronco.
Yeah I’m always doing a bunch of work to it. Instead of investing $200 in quality tie rods I will get the super runner steering. Direct bolt in since I have the super lift pivot brackets. And it would only make things better. I’ll do that when I get a couple hundred to spare. And go in for another alignment.

·
Registered
1995 Bronco OEM 302,auto,3.55 gears,muffler delete,3"pitman,31" tires,lockout hubs,factory wheels
26 Posts
I just replaced my tie rod drag links like 6 months ago and I know for sure the the smaller drag link that goes to the driver side is bad. It is so loose. Before that I replaced them about 2 years before and they were also really sloppy. Like you can shake the tie rod and the actual ball part will shake back and forth too. The longer drag link also feels a little sloppy but I don’t think as much. I’ve got a redhead steering box so no worry there. I’ve got a 4 inch drop pitman arm and a steering stabilizer both from rough country. Anyone know why this might be happening. The tie rod ends should be replaced but they aren’t horrible.
it's probably the cheap Chinese offshore junk tie rods, I replaced the main drag link i.e. right inner long tie rod to the pitman, both times they had play brand new out of the box from NAPA. I'm going to be returning it-- again- and going with the larger ambulance/F250HD/E350 setup.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,891 Posts
that super runner steering isnt a save all. you also cant go down to your local autoparts store for replacement parts when something wears out.

do a tie rod flip and run the ambulance steering hardware. I have had 8 years on my tie rods with no issues.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that super runner steering isnt a save all. you also cant go down to your local autoparts store for replacement parts when something wears out.

do a tie rod flip and run the ambulance steering hardware. I have had 8 years on my tie rods with no issues.
I may consider this. I don’t ever buy parts from auto parts stores but if something breaks I gotta and I wouldn’t have that for superlift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts