Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my new friends at FSB:

Bringing home the 1991 Bronco after 4 mos in the body shop. It has 146,000 miles on it. 300 I-6 with manual trans. Standard lift.

The vehicle has severe sway laterally and up and down - when pushed on.

We (my sons and I) are going to jack it up and replace the following:

1) shocks and springs on front; shocks on back - bushings as needed
2) new tie rod and steering bushings on front
3) new bushings on stabilizer bars - front and back
4) replacing tire and wheels with 32.5 x 11.5 x 15 goodrich T/As

Can you think of anything else to do while we have it all apart from below?

Gracias, David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Get a Daystar complete poly kit, and replace all your bushings, like radius arm, axle pivot, leaf springs, sway bar, etc. Check your ball joints for play. With working shocks you shouldn't have anymore sway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also check the rear axle u bolts they may be loose or stretched
Thanks Streetcar - will do. It has been twenty (now that I think about it - 30) years since my last project truck in highschool and college. Been trying to do once since, now that I have a 16 yr old, it is time again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Worthy. Got most of it already - but did not get the radius arm and leaf spring bushings. Will order Monday!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fartman, thanks, I have read a couple of threads on this and don't have an opinion yet - what is your thoughts on doing this if 90% is on road with the other 10% being some pretty fun stuff in west texas?
 

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
Joined
·
6,255 Posts
I feel hardly any change to the road manners, and the stock suspension does not flex much at all, and this lets it just a bit more. Try it, if you don't like the way it feels you can always but it back on. If, and when you do- when you remove the sway bar there will be a hole in your frame perfect to add a tow hook on each side. You will only have to drill one hole after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the idea - i may try and let you know.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top