Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a slight rumble and vibration when I let off the gas at hwy speeds, just for a couple of seconds. As of right now, I expect this to be the rear end, which is a stock near-as-I-can-tell 9" (86 Bronco). was going to lower the driveshaft this weekend to check everything, u-joints, splines, slip, etc as well.

Are there any tricks of the trade to tightening up the 9" to get a bit more life out of the gear set? Not in a position to be able to rebuild the rear at just this moment.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
I doubt it’s an issue with the mesh of the gear set, probably a bad u-joint causing your issues. If it comes down to something in the 3rd member, a 9” 3rd is easy to pull and mess with on the workbench, adjusters are threaded so it’s pretty easy to set the pattern. But check everything else first,I’m leaning towards a u-joint/driveline issue

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
You checked the rear end was full of oil too, right?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You checked the rear end was full of oil too, right?
that is on the short list for tonight if possible. drawing up a list for other routine maint stuff to get done this weekend. I'd have liked to have gone through all of that already, before putting a couple hundred miles on it, but have to drive to work.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fluid was low.

VERY LOW

1-1/2 qts low. not sure that it had been opened up in 34 years, had to dig around to find the plug, then dig in to clear out the socket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.