Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I seriously need to disassemble the ENTIRE ****ING STEERING COLUMN just to replace the turn signal switch? WTF?!?!?!? I'd like to meet the mental giant who designed this portion of the bronco and PUNCH HIM IN THE MOUTH!!!! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! Now I have to walk to work tomorrow.:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
No, push the wires out of the plastic connector at the plug end and the wires will pull up and out of the column. Make sure you note where the wires are in the connector.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
No, push the wires out of the plastic connector at the plug end and the wires will pull up and out of the column. Make sure you note where the wires are in the connector.
And tie a string to it before you pull it out so you can pull the new one back in.

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
And why walk? Just put the steering wheel back on and drive to work. Dont worry about putting everything else back on, just the steering wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, I feel like a dummy.

That worked like a charm. Now as soon as I get the switch for MY TILT STEERING COLUMN I'll be able to put it all back together.:duh

The wheel wouldn't tilt so I assumed that it was a non-tilt. Yet another thing I need to fix.

Anyone want to buy a turn signal switch for a 78-79 bronco? Brand new except for the labels I put on the plug. JBG won't accept returns on electrical parts. $50 shipped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really. It looks like a tilt column to me. Did you try pushing the turn signal lever in?
Yeah. There's a malfunction somewhere. The turn signal lever did everything it was supposed to do but the column didn't tilt. Not until I had it apart did I know for certain that it was a tilt column. The latch is really stiff. Seemed kinda gummy to me. It might just need a squirt of wd40.

How nice would that be. A repair that didn't cost me $100.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Being "gummy" won't have any bearing on wether that column tilts or not. The spring inside there is under a tremendous amount pressure the way it is setup.

If it doesn't tilt you have more issues than a can of WD40 will fix.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Being "gummy" won't have any bearing on wether that column tilts or not. The spring inside there is under a tremendous amount pressure the way it is setup.

If it doesn't tilt you have more issues than a can of WD40 will fix.
Geez, doesn't sound like you're gonna catch a break with this damn column!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'm stumped. I can't figure which way the pins go back into the terminal. Before someone says "do you have the wiring manual", yes, I do. It doesn't help. It only shows how the wires are arranged in the female side of the connector. Maybe someone with a tilt column can post a picture of theirs. If it helps, it's a JBG signal switch. It's kinda crappy they don't provide ANY technical guidance with their switch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The labels on the male end of the plug are the colors of the wires on the female end. There are colors on the turn signal switch that aren't on the female end. I don't really know what I'm doing here, if you haven't already figured that out. Feel free to ask more questions. I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
So you have colors that weren't originally there on the new switch. I can snap you a picture of the plug connector on the column but I don't know what good it will do you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe this one too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest, I can't say for certain that the wire colors on this switch weren't the same wire colors that were on the switch that came off the truck. I don't remember. If you could snap a picture it would at least settle the question of whether or not the wire colors on the new switch match the ones on the original switch. If they are the same, hopefully I can just copy the arrangement in the plug.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
THANK YOU RANGER!!! I could give you a big sloppy man-kiss. MMMMMMM; come to papa!!

I now have horn, hazard lights, tail lights, and turn signals(front and rear). I still need to trouble shoot back up lights and tilt mechanism. And for some reason my instrument cluster lights aren't working now. I don't care.

Now, after I get my windshield replaced on Thursday, my truck will actually be legal. No more taking the scenic route because I can't change lanes in the presence of a cop. Hooray!!

Edit: Can someone look at Rangers plug, and then look at the Haynes manual I posted, and tell me if there's something wrong with this picture?

Double Dog edit: Nope, instrument panel lights work. Sweet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts