Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago or so, a tooth broke on my tilt steering, right where I like it. I put up with it for a month or so at a higher setting which is the highest it will go, kinda like driving a bus. When my actuator broke, I decided to repair both. I fixed them both with minimal problems, it went smoothly...I thought. What happens now is it will pop up all the way to the top with about 5 lbs of pressure and without pushing in the adjusting lever.

I've taken it apart twice and can see no apparent reason for this to happen. The last time I took it apart, I crammed something in there to hopefully prevent it from moving, no luck. I am finally pissed off about it. I am thinking of buying a whole new steering column, probably non tilt since it is both cheaper and I like it in that position anyways. But I'm hoping maybe someone has had the same problem and can tell me what is wrong.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steve83 said:
If you delete tilt, you also lose cruise. I'm not giving up either.

You probably bent the rod that the tooth engages, keeping the tooth from fulling locking in. IIRC, there are 2 rows of teeth & the rod passes thru 3 supports.
I realize I would lose cruise control, but I don't use it enough to be a concern for me. i don't know how I could have bent that rod but something is screwed up that's for sure. Isn't that rod spring steel?
Either next weekend or the one after, I will take it apart one last time. You want me to snap some pics for your collection, Steve?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, maybe I'll do a tech write up and show how it can be done with limited tools, or rather lack of the propper tools.

·
Registered
490 Posts
waltman said:
Yeah, maybe I'll do a tech write up and show how it can be done with limited tools, or rather lack of the propper tools.
hehe. yea i have a lack of them to. so hurry up and do it. as i want to do the same thing. my steering wheel itself moves up and down. plus there alot of play in it. i changed the steering box hopign that would fix the problem and the front end is all good. im figuring it needs a rebuild since its one of the last things really left. i drove my brothers 85 and that thing has way tighter steering than my 85. :banghead only thing ik can think of. guess ill find out once i put the lift kit on. see if i missed anyhting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please do take lots of pics and do a write up. Mine is doing exactly the same thing as yours waltman, any help would be great.
-Beau

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beau M said:
any updates?
Sorry, I haven't had time to do it. I hope to do it within the next month or so. But I promise I will take pics of it as I dismantle it and I will lay out all the tools I used to do the job. :thumbup

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
IMO it's probably just easier to replace the whole column than to fix that one. I've managed to break two tilt columns in my '90, swapping out the whole column is fairly easy.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
IMO it's probably just easier to replace the whole column than to fix that one. I've managed to break two tilt columns in my '90, swapping out the whole column is fairly easy.
I am going to take it apart one last time, and if I can't fix it by straightening or bending something than I will do just that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Can you weld it in place? I'm thinking if I could weld a piece of metal in, or if you can just weld it to stop moving, that would be easier to do than swap out the steering wheel. Also, if you do the non-tilt, you could relocate the cruise buttons. Put them on that right-hand panel off the steering column.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts