Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm having a problem with my tilt steering I'm hoping others have knowledge of. I have a 88' standard tranny with tilt steering. The tilt jaw lock seems worn out, because any pressure on the wheel while driving colapses the column into my lap. :banghead I've taken it apart and tried to tighten things, but can't find a part reference for the tilt lock jaw. Is there a way to permanently "lock" the steering? i.e deleting the tilt function safely? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got the same problem in my '90 bronco. I think one of the bearings inside the steering column is no good but I really don't feel like tearing apart the entire column to replace one little part.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Take a look at a thread by Bronco Boy regarding: "Ignition Actuator Replacement on an 85 w/Tilt" this is actually a picture step by step "How To" fix a broken upper ignition actuator BUT it shows the the Tilt jaw and knuckle parts, picture #1, shows an exploded view by parts and pictures 25, 26, 32 and 33 show the jaw in position with a roll pin holding it in place which allows you to adjust the Tilt using the directional signal arm for release so there's got to be something broken, missing in there but surely a way to devise something to keep it from moving, think out of the box before you pull the steering column.....

I don't know if there are parts available anywhere other then the JY and a column could run around $300.00...but make sure it's in decent shape.

I went to a Non -Tilt because my tilt was really messed inside but I don't really miss it, however the upper ignition actuator shown in the thread pictures is used for BOTH Tilt and Non-Tilt columns and all the information regarding that is in the thread.....

Additional Help: www.broncolinks.com

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts