Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and can not fine anything to help me with my loose tilt in my 79 bronco ranger xlt can anybody help me please

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Yeah if you can diagnose what is loose. Is it the rag joint, the steering wheel free play, the tilt mechanism, describe the problems.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Auto diagnostics at its finest. This is like pulling teeth... Does it go side to side too? Tear it apart to be sure, but most likely one or both of you're column bearings are worn out.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
typically the 3 anchor bolts inside the colum come loose thus allowing the tilt head to flopp you are going to need to take apart the column to verify what is loose

also if the column is used as a grab handle to climb into the truck then the tube may be broken thus needing major repair

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Either way you look at it the column is going to have to be pulled to fix it. Nothing you can do to fix it with the column in. They are really pretty simple to fix just take some pictures so you can reassemble correctly.

Trent I found that little nut and bolt on the top side as well. What a difference that made in taking out the L-R free play in the wheel.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Either way you look at it the column is going to have to be pulled to fix it. Nothing you can do to fix it with the column in. They are really pretty simple to fix just take some pictures so you can reassemble correctly.
Trent I found that little nut and bolt on the top side as well. What a difference that made in taking out the L-R free play in the wheel.
LOL bout time you did hope you used a little loctite on it
but all it does tighten up steering slop
does nothing for the tilt slop

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
I actually replaced the nut with a new lock nut. And your right, it will do nothing for the tilt problem only L-R freeplay.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I apologize for jacking this thread, are the tilt columns worth anything?? I found one in a yard and it's still there but I was just looking around and pressed for time so I didn't snag it up, deal or no deal?? I don't remember how much, it was really cheap though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Grab it. A bunch of these yahoos have to have one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did they make it for a standard tranny as well, the one I found is for an auto??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts